Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We know that Alfas and Zagato bodied 1900s in particular, did very well in the final version of the Mille Miglia. It appears that one Tipo IV, Touring bodied 1900C SS ran in the final race, owned and/or raced by Francesco Vasaturo. Has anyone ever tracked down which car this was/is? Do we know if it survived, and if so, who the current owner is?

Ciao!
-tj in los gatos

·
Registered
188 Posts
Zagato instead of Touring?

Are you sure it was a Touring bodied Tipo IV 1900 CSS? I found several links to Francesco Vasaturo driving an AR 1900SS Zagato in the two liter GT class of the 1957 MM (ending in DNF).

See for instance:Alfa Romeo in the Mille Miglia and 1957 Mille Miglia

I do realize that lots of these lists are simple copy/paste from previous lists, and that mistakes are easily passed on, but still....

Googling around I came across this interview with Andrea Zagato, very much focussed around the 1900SSZ (https://carancestry.com/essential-beauty-alfa-romeo-1900-ssz/). What a car!

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually found the reference to the very book to which you refer. On page 153 of Alfa Romeo and Mille Miglia there is a photo on the bottom of the page of a Touring bodied car with the number 311 on the side. The notes refer to "Francesco Vasaturo's 1900SS Touring," in the chapter on the 57 version of th race.

Additionally, in another book called "Mille Miglia 1957-Last Act In A Legendary Race" with the same reference to #311, driven by Vasturo.

Of course, numerous SSZs finished the race, , one was on the podium, sandwiched by 8v Fiats.
Ciao!
-tj in los gatos

1 - 3 of 3 Posts