Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Just stumbled across this Alfa Romeo 1900 for sale in Denmark.

It is a really odd place to find such a car, this is not a place you'd usually find a vintage Alfa Romeo!

Details:

alfa romeo 1900 sprint , årg. 1951, sort, Den første 1900 Sprint der nogensinde er bygget. Stelnr ooo51.
Meget unik bil i god stand. Den er ikke helt original, bla. er motor og interiør af nyere dato. Bilen er næsten køreklar, men er dog moden til komplet renovering og klargøring. Bilen er ekstrem sjælden, og er den første af kun 8 biler bygget af Touring i Milano, i 1951

Alfa Romeo 1900 Sprint 1951, black. The first 1900 Sprint ever built, chassis no. 00051.
Very unique car in good condition. It is not completely original though, both engine and interior is of newer date. The car is almost road worthy, but ripe for a complete restoration (???). The car is extremely rare and the first of only 8 cars built by Touring, Milan in 1951.

If anyone would add any info, confirm or contest??

If anyone would like me to, I would be happy to either contact the seller, or put you into contact with him. No relations to him though. The price is 179.000 DKR, which is US$ 33,346 or GBP 16,684.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Anybody know what engine is in it judged by the small pic?

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
FYI: Here are pics of the car for sale.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
It has been for sale, more or less officially for several years, and has changed hands within the last year or so (after that it has been more actively marketed and at somewhat higher price, which looks be on its way down again..).
The car is well known, and I am quite sure the engine is a 1900, altough the cam covers look like a custom job (?).
It has been my ambition to go and look at the car for several years, but the distance from thought to action is hard to overcome..

If interested, Peter Marshall has more info on the car (he is the one who first set me on the track of it). I am also prepared to inspect if for any overseas buyers, if wished.

Erik

·
Registered
131 Posts
Anybody know what engine is in it judged by the small pic?
The engine in the car is a 2300 Rio engine the original one is supossed to be missing since the sixties. But a cylinder head lying in the car I was told is the original one. Another 1900 berlina engine was also said to come with the car.

RGDS
Björn in Sweden (Who has taken the pictures when I examnied the car)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Oelholm
"It is a really odd place to find such a car, this is not a place you'd usually find a vintage Alfa Romeo"

Just to you info, we have in Denmark a very good representation of old Alfas, in my opinion, compared with that we are around 5 mill people.
We have at least
A 6C 1750
A 6C 2500 Touring Berlinetta
A 6C 2500 Freccia dòre
The 1900 Sprint in question
3-4 1900 Sprint series 3
around 8 2000/2600 Touring Spiders
At lest 2 2600 Sprint
Giulietta are all represented except the SZ and the one off
Giulia is all represented incl GTA, thou except TZ and GTC
We even have a GTV6 Callaway Twin Turbo.

The car I question came to Denmark in the second halves of the 50. I stayed with the Family until 3-4 years ago, when they where convinced to sell it.
In the first halves of the 80, it got a Rio engine, directly imported from Brazil for this car. Back then it was diff. to find 1900 parts, compared with to day.
The mechanic who changed the engine, is on pension, but is still active. Last year he finished the restoration of a 1900 Sprint series 3.
With the car was the cylinder head, and a block was located, in Denmark, at a company that renovate engines. The block was from a 1900 Sprint series 3, that was owned by one of the owners of the company. It had been left over when he renovated the engine in his own car, the 1900 Sprint.
The car ran I the City of Randers, where I grow up. Back in 1965, when I got my first car. There where 4 1900 Alfa Romeo in Randers.2 Berlinas, the car in question, and a 1900 Sprint Series 3 .
As the car is from first series, the rear light is in Touring practice situated around the number plate, and the outside rear light is unoriginal. But they are required by authorities, that don't find the original to sufficient.
Later series has the wide rear light's, se attach picture of read car.
Pictures of the car when it came up for sale attach.
Peter Marshall has known the existence of the car for years, and it has always amused him that this car was almost a secret in Denmark

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you very much for your detailed reply and pictures. I am still interested to know whether this car is for sale. Do you know?

Thanks and regards,

Peter

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to you info, we have in Denmark a very good representation of old Alfas, in my opinion, compared with that we are around 5 mill people.
- Oh yes, I know that... What I was surprised to see was an advert at dba.dk :D :D

I have talked to the seller a few times now, don't be surprised if it finds a new home very soon... ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sorry but no reference to Fangio in the paperwork that follows the car.
I was told that according to Centro storico it stayed at Alfa Romeo for a few years before being sold tio a private owner who in his turn sold it to Denmark.
There even should be some picture of the car at the factory in the late 50´s

Im trying to get hold of the owner and see if the car is still for sale and if he wants his details published here.

RGDS
Björn in Sweden

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
God Morgen i Sverige. Superleggera
Its correct what the good DR. states. The story that this car was a gift to Fangio, also goes with this car. Wither its a real truth story, i am unable to judge

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What the seller told me was that the Fangio gift car is no. 3 car produced, not this one. He furthermore told that the Fangio car is in USA now, he has corresponded with the current owner. I believe he said that it is a champagne-metallic colour, but that it was difficult to discern from the photo he saw.

The advert has been removed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello, I am interested in talking to the owner about ths car as I would be interested in it for my own collection. Could you please provide the details. I look forward to hearing back from you. Kind Regards

Damian Cessario Melbourne Australia

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi all.

Just stumbled across this Alfa Romeo 1900 for sale in Denmark.

It is a really odd place to find such a car, this is not a place you'd usually find a vintage Alfa Romeo!

Details:

alfa romeo 1900 sprint , årg. 1951, sort, Den første 1900 Sprint der nogensinde er bygget. Stelnr ooo51.
Meget unik bil i god stand. Den er ikke helt original, bla. er motor og interiør af nyere dato. Bilen er næsten køreklar, men er dog moden til komplet renovering og klargøring. Bilen er ekstrem sjælden, og er den første af kun 8 biler bygget af Touring i Milano, i 1951

Alfa Romeo 1900 Sprint 1951, black. The first 1900 Sprint ever built, chassis no. 00051.
Very unique car in good condition. It is not completely original though, both engine and interior is of newer date. The car is almost road worthy, but ripe for a complete restoration (???). The car is extremely rare and the first of only 8 cars built by Touring, Milan in 1951.

If anyone would add any info, confirm or contest??

If anyone would like me to, I would be happy to either contact the seller, or put you into contact with him. No relations to him though. The price is 179.000 DKR, which is US$ 33,346 or GBP 16,684.
hello Could you pleaSE contact me, I am interested in the 1900 Sprint Alfa,
my Email account= [email protected]
phonenumber:0031651107530

kind gegards

·
Registered
131 Posts
The current owner of this Sprint is a Danish company - Stelvio where it´s undergoing restauration. It was presented at the Copenhagen Classic Gran Prix a forthnight ago.
rgds
Björn in Sweden

1 - 19 of 19 Posts