Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
i would like some help. We are in the process of reassembling the suspension and have found two spacers about 5mm thick, that go on the top or bottom of the shocker. We only have 2 spacers and it seems they were both on the same side of the car - one rear, one front. It was suggested to us that these would be on the drivers side of the car to compensate for the extra weight as the suspension settles.

What is the consensus opinion on this thought or should there have been 4 spacers.

Cheers Bryan - Melbourne Australia.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Bryan
Do you mean 'shocker' or 'spring'. The GTV's have approx 5mm alloy spacers under the spring. But mine has one on each spring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Paul.

they were on the shockers and there were only 2 on the car. they do not show in the parts manual and one suggestion has been that they were on the drivers side of the car to keep the car level when the driver was in it. from other modifications, we are fairly certain that the car was raced/rallyed in its early history.

incidentally the mechanical are now in and it will be on wheels and back in melbne in a couple of weeks

cheers bryan
brera-montreal-1900CSS

·
Push hard and live
9,657 Posts
Our confusion is because the word "shocker" is not understood, at least in the US. Do you mean spring or shock absorber?

Having said that...

Alfa often uses aluminum spacers between the bottom of the spring and the lower spring pan on the front. The 102-2000 does not originally use these, but does use some formed aluminum spacer "cups" on the top of the rear springs. As the springs age and compress, particular on the front, an owner might insert a spacer even if it was not originally specified. As the lower end of the spring is roughly halfway between the pivot point and wheel contact point, there is approximately a 2 to 1 change in ride height, ie a 5mm shim will raise the front roughly 10mm.

I suggest you use shims to achieve whatever is the original ride height, or other height that you may choose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts