Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is a 1900 CSS coupe 5 windows from 1954.

I have some questions about the heating system and the air inlets.

From what I saw on other cars, but there are not a lot of pictures, there are 3 air inlets from the front face.

I give you a picture of my car.

I understand that the air inlets indicated in red are original, one for fresh air to the passenger side, and one for fresh air to the heating system, driver side.

But what are the function on the air inlet indicated in blue ?

Many thanks for your help... :smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
The down air inlet highlighted in blue is for the cooling of the exhaust manifold On the other hand I do not know for that of the top.
Good luck for the continuation.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Hi All,

I have only 1x on the left and 1x on the right side on my 1956 and 1958 1900CSS

both are for fresh air inlet and heater inlet for the inside of car

rgds Franco

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi,
I have the exact same model as in your picture, you are correct about both red air inlets.
The lower blue one is indeed for the exhaust cooling.
The upper blue I have never seen before, al least not on the tipo 2.
I have no idea what it can be used for? And using that air inlet would also mean that you would have to relocate the Voltage Regulator which is just behind it.
Regards Mike

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Mike, thank you for your answer !

It is possible for you to send me a picture of the inside view for the lower blue air intake ?

How is the cooling of the exhaust manifold ?

You speak of a tipo 2 , but this car is a tipo 3, according to the Alfa 1900 register (alfa 1900 companion). What do you think ?

Your car is a tipo 3, no ?

For everybody,

I saw that the heating system has a double air entry...
The pipe on the right of the picture is connected to the right red entry of the front face picture.

It is possible that the lower pipe of the heating system is connected with this fourth inlet ? (pipe with the arrow on the picture)

please look at the picture below (not my car) as exemple

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes, sorry to get you confused, the 5 window coupe is the Tipo 3.
Regarding your last picture, it quite clear to see. The lower inlet is connected to the piece of metal covering the exhausts for the purpose of guiding cool air along them.
As you can see, just above this inlet, there is the Voltage Regulator. That is why I can not imagine anything being connected to your fourth air inlet, or the regulator on your car was in a different spot?
The hose on the lower side of the heating is also not connected to your forth inlet.
I so far do not have a clue why there is a fourth inlet on your car.....

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again thank you mike,

so could you tell me where is connected the hose on the lower side of the heating ?

0:)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Franco for the info.

So, the mystery remains unsolved for the fourth inlet... :frown2:

Other owners of serie 3 to help me a liitle ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a '54 Series 2, tippo III also. I have the same inlets, but no cowling on the far right (red) opening. I believe if you attach the hose to that inlet, it will go behind the metal and be out of sight and return to the heater box though a hole in the metal about 6-9" from the heater box. (I am trying to make one of the inlets and do this.) My hose is currently connected to the upper cowling and runs next to the regulator. The short hose with the red arrow in the engine compartment directs cool air into the passenger compartment (supposedly). It is after the baffle which is inside the hose. if the baffle is set so air doesn't go into the heater box then it is directed to the short hose. If the baffle is the other way, air goes into the heater box. The problem is that the hose from the front runs next to the headers and the heat from headers heats up the air in the hose so the air going into the passenger compartment is almost always hot regardless of which way the baffle is set. I haven't figured out how to actually get cool fresh air into the passenger compartment yet.
joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts