Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry, I can't change the heading, I meant 185 75-14.

Anyone out there have tires this size installed on their GT? Yes, a pretty big difference in diameter/revolutions per mile (found a neat calculator on google). At an indicated 65 for my 195 65-14's (assuming my speedo is accurate) I'll be going 62.94 mph.

If you've not followed my carping about too much noise, the extra wide sidewall is what I want to help quiet the tire noise down - though suspect much of it is caused by LA CA's mostly concrete freeways. Boy do I love fresh asphalt.

And I also like the idea of filling the wheel wells out a bit more - but I am concerned regarding acceleration.

While I'm afraid they only come with white walls (installed inside should I get them) the Hankook Optimo H724 gets rave reviews on quietness. True, all of the reviewers were driving vans/suv's but quiet is quiet.

I've been using 195 65-14 Yokohama AVID H4's for years. I'm ready for a change.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
185/70 14 is the original stock tire size, no?

I don't have one at the moment, but have had many Alfas with the clSsic 185/70 tire, Alfetta and otherwise. There is nothing wrong with that size tire
On an Alfetta, it always felt pretty right to me.

However, I can't comment on your specified tire choice. Generally quiet indicates softer sidewall. Not sure how that translates to handling and road feel on an Alfetta.

hth,

bs

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brian, I made a mistake, I meant 185 75-14. I'm well aware that they certainly won't help the handling on the Alfetta, but for me, at this time, quiet/smoothness trumps handling - hands down.

Yes, 185 70-14 was the tire recommended for the Alfetta GT's. Which means I've been running on slightly undersized tires with the 195 65-14.

The difference in diameters is 24.20 / 24.93 for the 185 70 and 185 75. The diameter of the 195 65's is 23.98 so will be an inch taller than what I've been driving.

Out of curiosity, what are the major 'byways' in your area paved with, concrete or asphalt? 'They' know how to lay down asphalt on streets and freeways quite well in the LA area, but apparently the same guy has 'leveled out' (not correct term) all of the freeways in the LA area since the early 50's. I'm guessing the concrete is poured in roughly 50' sections. All of the centers of these sections are high, then taper down at the ends - probably wrong but believe the term is slough for this bad concrete finishing. Having worked in or around construction in my teens and early 20's in the Midwest, the concrete finisher 'guy' would have been fired on his first day of work.

If you've driven on our freeways and assuming in a rental car, unless the shocks were shot, no doubt you never noticed it since this undulation has been engineered out of modern and not so modern cars - but not on Alfetta GT's.

And then if there was something like a major gas tanker fire on the freeway causing huge craters in the surface and the concrete was poured at night to be ready for traffic in the early a.m. - these areas are pretty much like cobblestones (for the Alfetta).

Next time you're in town, stop by and I'll take you to my 'favorite' example of bad, bad freeway surface.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The title was supposed to be 185 75-14 tires

See original post.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
To tall of a tire might cause some wallowing over the surfaces you drive on.

I actually bought an Alfetta sedan with 225/75 tires stuffed on the 6" wheels. It felt like I was driving on balloons.

Sorry, I've never tried the 185/75's, I will be surprised if anyone has. My recommendation would be to go back to the stock size tire, see if it's at least a step in the right direction. If it makes no difference, then chances are neither would a 75 series tire, and at least you won't be stuck driving a wallowing pig..

bs

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I'm floundering here regarding size, but have started looking at this size - unfortunately another size which has minimal choices - but came up with -- 195/70-14 Pirelli Cinturato P5 Tires 70R14 R14 70R. My rim width is 6" (5-stars).

Unfortunately they're all season (but believe my AVID's are also) and I do suspect they'll be noisy, but for whatever reason going from a 185 (stock size) width to 195, the tire diameter increases by a shade over a half inch along with the being .40" wider.

I'd like quiet - a lot - but if the extra quarter inch width of sidewall height helps dampen the rougher sections, I'll be reasonably satisfied.

And it would be nice to see Pirelli on the sidewall again, especially followed by Cinturato.

I do notice quite a few folks are at least giving this thread a look, anyone have any first hand knowledge of these tires, even if they're a different size? Keep in mind I could care less how they are in the snow though rain is pretty important.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Biba:

I have run nothing but the 185/70/14 Pirellis on my Alfetta for the last 16 years, and like Brian says, it feels right. Some cars, like my Lancia Fulvia, are designed for a specific size and even type of tire (Michelin XAS in the case of the Fulvia). Anything else really does change the steering feel etc. I don't think Alfettas are quite as sensitive, but try the stock tire with stock(ish) suspension for that "as designed" feel.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,621 Posts
Biba, the two main factors in road noise are going to be tread pattern and vehicle soundproofing. The latter you can't do much about, the former will be better with a touring-type tire (Avid H4s aren't hardcore but are definitely performance oriented).

70 profile is already pretty tall. I think all you're going to do if you go to a taller tire is fark up the handling. I'd stick with the stock size and go with a touring type tire inflated to the recommended pressure (not sure on your Alfetta but IIRC was 24 & 26 on my Spider with those tires).

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I hear that everyone apparently thinks the Alfetta will teeter-tottor on 195's, but...there are a number of different tires, both brands and models that are available in this size. Does this mean that everyone that buys them for their car/SUV, etc. is liable to wiggle right off the road with such a tall sidewall? I'm inclined to think not.

I'll repeat, quietness and bump suppression completely trump great handling. While not never that I'm on twisties, most all of my driving is either on either city streets or on CA's pitiful freeways. I'll just add that should one be inclined to really ring out their car on some of the quite nifty close by twisties, be prepared to meet a bike head on.

However...I am very concerned that I'm going to lose what is already minimal acceleration.

I've aded eighth inch thick sound deadener to the doors and it is a good start. I have more, thicker, for the floors.

San Francisco is roughly 500 miles from me. Should I want to take a drive up, I don't want to feel beat up after I get there...or coming back.

A true gran turismo should be reasonably - or better yet - very comfortable. I will add that the car should add to the fun of of the trip, not the opposite. Nope, not getting a Toyota.

And have any of you actually tried 195 70 14's on any car? Yes, of course it is a tall sidewall, just wish I really knew how too tall or is actually this the size for me (even though obviously not for any of you)?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
195/70 14 is an OD of 628.6mm compared to 614.6 for 185/70 14. An overall difference of 14mm, which is 7mm increase in sidewall. This should fit, or at worst require very minor massaging (depending on what offset wheels you are using of course - if std, should be OK).

However, if you want smooth ride and less noise, fitting bigger and heavier tyres is not necessarily a good move. I think you'd be better looking for comfort oriented tyres in sizes that are closer to standard as the small amount of extra sidewall is not going to do much.

Avon used to be renowned for smooth quiet ride. Toyo TEO are also apparently good (these are not characteristics that I've shopped for in a tyre personally).

Also, you are asking a lot of an old alfa - not really designed to isolate the driver from the road - not enough rubber bushing in the suspension, not enough rigidity in the shell, too much damping in the shocks. But having said all that, it should take you 500 miles without causing too much drama (my old man drove a GTV6 from Brisbane to Perth and back - have a look at an atlas - that's a long way - and that was on low profile tyres, sports suspension etc... so maybe you could just harden up a bit princess.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
And have any of you actually tried 195 70 14's on any car? Yes, of course it is a tall sidewall, just wish I really knew how too tall or is actually this the size for me (even though obviously not for any of you)?
I thought you decided you wanted 185/75's? Make up your mind!

No, nobody has tried a 75 series tire on an Alfetta. If they had, you'd have heard by now. So you need to either blaze a trail or take some of the good advice that's been given here.

Good luck!

bs

·
Registered
25 Posts
As Gubi said, tread pattern (as well as rubber compound) has the most effect on the noise a tire generates. Aspect ratio isn't that much of a factor. Ride comfort-wise, a change in tire pressure will make more difference than a 5% change in sidewall height, methinks...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts