Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
15" tire that fits in trunk well?

I'm about to order a Pirelli P400 185/17-14 for my spare rim. Does anyone know if this will fit in my spare well? It's certainly going to be a bit wider than the original thats in there now. I don't want it to stick out too high if I can avoid it.

WHOOPS, all that above was wrong, I wrote it without looking and remembering!
My original spare, still in the wheel well is a really cool:
Michelin 155-380/155-15 X "Fabbricato in Italia" on an original 4-1/2 x 15 Fergat steel wheel
And it does fill the wheel well rather completely. I guess I need the smallest new tire I can find. I have some long drives planned this fall and I want a functional spare! Any suggestions for something that might fit in the wheel well?

Carl

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
When I purchased my car, there was a 165/15 tyre in the well, and it only just fitted without causing an unsightly lump. I would have thought that a tyre which is 2cm (3/4") wider is going to stick out, and cause your expensive rubber trunk mat to wear out faster. I'm not sure if later cars had a deeper spare wheel well, though? One day I'll make the effort to find out if there's a modern space-saver which could do the job just as well.

Hope that helps.

Alex.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Research is showing 2 tires of interest:

BFGoodrich Radial T/A 155/80SR15 from tirerack, currently long back ordered

Vredestein Sprint Classic 155SR15 available from Coker tire.

About the original: Michelin 155-380 / 155-15 X Fabbricato in Italia on a 4-1/2 x 15 Fergat steel wheel:
This tire and wheel combo measures as 25.0” diameter, 6.0” wide with at 3-3/4” tread width.
The wheel well appears to be 6.5” deep and 25.5” in diameter, however the shape of the well curved inwards at the bottom, may make this smaller from a useful standpoint.

I'm wondering if that old original tire should be kept? I can't imagine driving on it, but I can imagine someone really concerned with originality might want it in their trunk? or should I just toss it?
C

·
Premium Member
21,362 Posts
Do you mean 185/70-14? I don't know of a 17 aspect ratio tire. I have this size in the spare tire well of my 74 GTV and it sits a bit high, but is fine.

I have Vredesteins on my Super and love them.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Hi Carl, I see you bought a tire of the original dimensions, but if you or others are interested, I just checked my 185/70-14 (Toyo) spare in the well of my '70 Spider KammTail (presume it’s the same spare well). It's 1½" / 40 mm above the trunk floor. It really doesn't restrict luggage space.
Erik

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just received and mounted the Vredestein Sprint Classic 155/80R15S.
Fits in the wheel well perfectly.
Also has impressive ratings: Treadwear 160, Traction A Temperature B. I may try these as regular tires when I wear my current Bridgestones out!
C

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts