Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've decided that I'm going to be upgrading the wheels on my 1992 164S. I would like to go with a 18x8" wheel with 225/40 tires. What I would like to know is, does anyone out there have any experience with aftermarket wheels on the 164? I've been told by many that I can use a 5x100 bolt pattern and some special bolts. My main concern is fitament problems. What offset will I need so that there is no rubbing on a 18x8" wheel? I'd like to hear from some people with experience before I go out and drop $$$ on wheels and tires only to find that they don't fit!

I've attached a picture of a 164S that I photoshopped the wheels I want onto. The wheels are Mille Miglia MM11.
Thanks in advance,
-Ryan Eyres
1992 164S

Attachments

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Ryan,

I know that the 18 inchers look cool, but there are lots of problems associated with that big a wheel and that small an aspect ratio for the 164.

I believe that you will find that any 18 X 8 inch wheel/ tire combination will be very much heavier than the stock sizing and will add unnecessary and performance-reducing unsprung weight to the suspension. This will also cause increased wear on the brakes, front-end parts and suspension.

Additionally, the 40 series tires will certainly make sure that you will have a bent rim within your first year.

Do you really want to do that? If I were you, I'd stick with a more modest 16 or perhaps 17 inch rim and a minimum of 45 aspect ratio. If you do an internet searc for "tire size calculator", you will get quite a few sites that can tell you how to keep close to the same overall diameter while increasing wheel and tire size. The biggest wheel/tires that I have seen (that fit a 164) are 17X 7inch with a 215/45R-17 tire...of course, the 'offset' has to be right too!

There are several manufacturers who carry the 5 X 98mm pattern for the 164. Even tirerack has them! If you really want something different than what the 'in-stock' companies provide, most large-scale wheel retailers will re-drill a 5 X 100mm wheel for you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
As much as it pains me, I have to agree with Alex on this (just kidding, Alex)
Unless you spend a small fortune on the wheels, they will be very heavy and the narrow sidewall is just asking for trouble.
The 18" wheels look very cool, but you may regret the decision once you hit the first pothole.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
18's all the way!

I say, find the rims you like, and that fit your bolt pattern, and throw them on.

I have a friend that has a 02' Audi A4, and he's riding on 18 inch rims with i think 45 series tires. He has no problem, he live's on pretty ruff and bumpy roads.

p.s. I think the audi weighs 3400lbs. It's also lowered on coilovers.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Maybe, but the Audi is a very different animal to the Alfa. And I bet that your friend with the "Cool" wheels has absolutely ruined the handing and driveability of his car.

Now, maybe I'm "old-school", but frankly...to me, handling and enjoying the high-speed runs are what Alfa ownership is all about.

If you really just NEED the 18s, at least change all the suspension geometries and add a bunch of bracing. You'll probably need a 'coil-over' set-up too, oh...and while you're at it, don't forget to upgrade the brakes! You'll probably need some cross-drilled and slotted larger vented rotors and at least 6-pot aluminum calipers to stop the car (and fill the void in that huge space between the hub and the rim.

For me, well...I'll continue to enjoy my Milano Verde with the soon-to-be installed 16 inch rims and 215/45R-16 tires, my '69 Spider with 14 X 6 BWA Sportstars and 185/70R-14 Pirellis and my Milano Gold with CEC 129 15 inch rims and 205/50R-15 Sumitomo tires.

Good luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've owned a car before with 17" rims and 40 series tires, and had no problem with bending rims or anything. I live on Vancouver Island with quite possibly the smoothest and newest roads and highways in all of Canada. I'm also a very careful driver and crawl over curbs and speedbumps with my car. I don't think that I would have a problem with bending wheels. As far as weight goes, the Mille Miglia MM11 has a fairly thin spoke and is apparently fairly light in construction while maintaining strength. My biggest concern was rubbing, and I absolutely need to find the proper offset for this car. Thanks for all the input so far, and if anyone has any info on offset, I'd love to hear it!
-Ryan Eyres
1992 164S

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Oh yeah, 18 inch rim compared to a 17 inch rim isn't much added weight. Maybe a pound or two, but then again you'll be riding on a thinner tire then you would be on a 17 inch rim, so there's a pound to drop off.;)

I've seen 18's on a 164 before. I wish I would've snapped a picture. The rims were lovly. The offset is a concern, because if you get even offset all the way around you're front rim might be popping out a inch. That's one thing to look out for. (less offset in the front)

·
Supporting Vendor
4,420 Posts
Ryan,

To answer your original question: You should be fine using bolts with eccentric washers PROVIDED you find a wheel that is hubcentric for the 164. Otherwise, I fear you will have vibration issues as the wheel won't truly be centered by either the lugs or the center bore.

If you can't find a wheel that is hubcentric for the 164 you could have custome hubcentric rings made. Good luck.

Joe

·
Registered
125 Posts
The wheels Do look good, but like what everybody is saying, its going to subtract the potential of performance you would be getting from the car with a 16" or 17" wheel with taller sidewall tires.

Just dont hit any hard potholes or curbs :)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Antera and Zender make beautiful wheels that fit Alfa 164's. I've added 17 inch Anteras and I believe that the car was more polished with the 15 inch wheels that I replaced. It is a bit more brutish now, however, I would not go for 18's, at least not in pot hole riddled NY.
PS, I did upgrade all rotors to slotted and drilled.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ryan, Dont let these guys discourage you. Its the only thing that make this car look like an 80's car is the donut tires... (oh and the box headlights - PLEAZE replace w/ the xenon narrow euro headlights) I have had on My S. a set of 17 wheels. They performed awesome, and looked pretty good only for a while.. You do start to notice how big the Alfa really is and how it towers over even the 17 inch wheels. I have seen online a Q4 w/ 19 inch wheels on, and to me they looked a bit too big.. It kind of like a skate... However 18 inch wheels. Do fit that wheel base and it will affect the ride. Yet not totally for the worse. I have ordered a set of 18" DOTZ Preditor wheels from overseas through ebay for my Q... Its only been about 3 days now but Im anxious to get them. This company has the proper fit via PCD, 5x98 etc... because the car is more common there. So they have shoes that fit.... No spacers or adjtz etc.. Anyway Ill keep you posted as to the progress and ill be honest...

That Paintshop image is absolutley awesome and inspireing.. Hey, do me a favor. Take that same image and paint (sorta speek) the car all yellow, like a ferrari. Post the image for me...

·
Premium Member
9,813 Posts
Hi all,
I've decided that I'm going to be upgrading the wheels on my 1992 164S. I would like to go with a 18x8" wheel with 225/40 tires. What I would like to know is, does anyone out there have any experience with aftermarket wheels on the 164? I've been told by many that I can use a 5x100 bolt pattern and some special bolts. My main concern is fitament problems. What offset will I need so that there is no rubbing on a 18x8" wheel? I'd like to hear from some people with experience before I go out and drop $$$ on wheels and tires only to find that they don't fit!

I've attached a picture of a 164S that I photoshopped the wheels I want onto. The wheels are Mille Miglia MM11.
Thanks in advance,
-Ryan Eyres
1992 164S
You can do it. But the problem is you will need spacers both front and rear, varation bolts only come in one size and may not be enough (for safety) to secure the wheels on, You need wheel centering rings as well. So you need to make sure Bore is not smaller than 164 bore (doubt it) but you need rings made up to 58.1mm from whatever size the wheel is. Lower offset is also key here. I would not choose anything over et40.
225/40 is will have no sidewall to give. Which means a rough ride and possible denting of wheel. With only a 225 patch on the ground I would just go with 16, 17". I run 235/40 on mine with no issues. If you pick the right wheel and design they can look bigger than they really are. Sometimes 16" looks bigger than some 17" just by the design.
18" wheels weigh more unless you go with OZ or something expensive that weights under 18lbs. Most cheaper ones weigh 24-28lbs a piece. Plus adding a inexpensive tire also adds another 21+lbs. The unsprung weight has jumped greatly which will yield, rough ride, bad handling, lower MPG, lower performance, and tramlining. You will need upgraded suspension, Koni/B+G springs, new rubber and so forth.

That said I have seen 19" OZ's on a 164Q4 before and they work fine. Just need to get the right bits to make it work for you and not against you! I love my 17X7.5 wheels with 235/40/17 tires. I have done a few in 18" without issue and many in 17X8. So I know it works but my suggestion is to pick the best(lightest) wheel you can. Also dont skimp on tires. They do get heavier as they go cheaper. You can upgrade suspension and braking to koni and stock springs and a better pad to help with the larger wheel.

Hope that helps?

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
I've got a factory-lowered 2009 Audi A4 Avant (wagon) with 18" wheels and low profile tires.

Words of caution:

I and my insurance company just paid a boatload of money to repair my car.
I ran over a small boulder at 70 mph that had been kicked in front of me, at night, on the freeway. The car briefly went airborne on one side.

Both passenger side rims, one tire, engine frame member, both lower A arms and assorted other parts had to be fitted to fix it. Something in the neighborhood of $5,000+.

It's your dime, and your call. I'm still rollin' the 18's, but keep a wary eye out for potholes and errant wandering rocks. :)

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
I hit a chuckhole on the rotten freeway in southern "middle of nowhere" Wyoming, and thoroughly destroyed a RF 16 inch wheel. Could not be fixed. Even those sizes are extra vulnerable. Shop thought that if the wheel had been very low profile, say 17, or 18 I probably would have damaged the strut, etc.

I know an excellent wheel shop locally, and you should see the severely damaged very low profile wheels in there. They like them, as it keeps them in good business. Not worth the looks in my book, unless you have money you like to burn, plus the loss of great all around ride and handling, something Alfa are supposed to be known for.

·
Registered
512 Posts
DON'T DO IT!!!. I had 18" wheels on my 166 and it was a dog, in fact the PO had a wheel come off. I have gone back to original 17" wheels and the ride is a real treat. If you go down the 18" track you should change the spring/shock absorber rates.....expensive. If you want good handling use 17" wheels and Koni inserts. OMO
Jim

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Did any of you notice?

Until today, the last post on this thread was just under EIGHT years ago? It might be interesting to hear if Ryan ever fitted the 18" wheels and the tires he was considering. (Actually, I would be interested in knowing if he still owns and drives the 164!!)

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Did not look to see the date on the posts before me. Ooops. Half asleep posting is dangerous, like drunk dialing. :)

But... the discussion of 18" versus actual wheels and rims is a worthy one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts