Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about getting a set of lightweight 17" wheels for my 164Q... Was leaning towards OZ wheels... At one point I know oz produced 17x7s in the the super and ultra leggera styles however they are hard to come by as opposed to 17x8s...

A local alfa guy advised me to stay away from wheels wider than 7.5" on a 164... I realize wheels that 8" wide wheels will require spacers, but will they look odd on the car?

What are the safety issues involved with running 8" wide wheels on a 164?

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Fitting tires can be an issue with 8 inch rims. A 225/45 x 17 fits an 8 inch wide OZ rim.
That is the same rolling circumference as the stock 195/65x15 tire.

The Supertourismo style comes in 7.5 inch width, quite nice on a 164 as it is an older style.

Superleggera is NLA except as a three piece (v expensive) but the Ultraleggera is similar, the spokes just continue into the rim instead of stopping short as for the Superleggera.

Standard 164 wheel was 6.5 inch so 7 inch would be no problem.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are superleggera better than ultras? I know they are lighter...

So a 225/45 r 17 will fit a 17x8?.... The guy at costco was trying to tell me I needed 235s for an eight inch rim

I can get a set of 17x8 supers at a very good price... Didn't know if it was wise purchase our if I should keep looking for 17x7 or 7.5s?

How do 17x8s look on a 164? Anyone have pics of 17x8s on a 164?

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I prefer the look of the Superleggera but couldn't get a set new for my Audi. I settled for the Ultraleggera and they look great. My friend had Superleggeras on his Audi and comparing the two they look very similar in real life.

I know 225/45 x 17 fit a 17 x 8 inch OZ rim because I had a set of those on my 2002 X Tyoe Jaguar and they looked and worked great. I used Tribe Evos which were brutally heavy for an OZ rim (brutally strong also) but had a nice anthracite spoke and polished grey and chrome lip that looked very good on my BRG X Type Sport with its grey grille.

I think that 225/45x17 size is a good compromise for the 164 as it is meaningfully wider but not super wide. This size was very popular when 17 inch wheels first began replacing 15 and 16 inch rims on the heated up versions of standard models (195/65 x 15 and 205/55 x 16 size tires respectively)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts