Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

first, let me introduce myself. I'm Renaat, living in Bruges (Belgium) and working as a machine design engineer.
I've bought a barnfind Alfa Romeo 1750GTV in 2017 for an absolute bargain. As I have a marriage coming up next year, I'd like to drive my precious girl in the precious Alfa on the way to the town hall/wedding party etc.

The car is complete with work needed on two points, the engine (hasn't ran in 15-20 years) and the body just behind both front wheel arches.

The owner before the last owner seller told that he had changed the cylinder head once, and I noticed that it's probably not a 1750 head with the triangular marking. However, the casting mark is a bit strange, it's an encircled square with an asterisk in the middle it seems. Can someone help me find out what head this is? The cams inside have a "2000" casted on them. The distance from the valve tappets from #1 to #2 is different (6mm larger) from tappets #2 to #3. The block says AR548*003498*. If it's a 1600 head, should I leave it like this, or are the valve diameters and combustion chamber too different? I already found that a 2000 can't work properly on a 1750 because of the bore center difference

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Hi and welcome on this nice forum.

Bienvenue à toi et bonjour à cette belle ville de Bruges !

Nice car !
My point of view (my 2 cents). If the car hasn't been drviven in 15 years, you have much more work than you think.

You must rebuilt brakes, hydraulic cluch circuit and transmission.Yes, you have to change tyres.

You have to check the electrical parts of course and all the silent-blocks of the suspension system.

For your engine, I can't see the symbol very well.
I know that just the 1600 cylinder head could be put on the 1300 engine block. For the rest I am not sure, but I think the 2000 cylinder head can't be fitted on 1750 block.

Good luck and keep us informed :)

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and welcome on this nice forum.

Bienvenue à toi et bonjour à cette belle ville de Bruges !

Nice car !
My point of view (my 2 cents). If the car hasn't been drviven in 15 years, you have much more work than you think.

You must rebuilt brakes, hydraulic cluch circuit and transmission.Yes, you have to change tyres.

You have to check the electrical parts of course and all the silent-blocks of the suspension system.

For your engine, I can't see the symbol very well.
I know that just the 1600 cylinder head could be put on the 1300 engine block. For the rest I am not sure, but I think the 2000 cylinder head can't be fitted on 1750 block.

Good luck and keep us informed :)

Chris
Hello Chris,
A complete overhaul is indeed necessary, with those two points i only meant the two most difficult points.
I also own a ‘69 Mercedes 250C where i already did the whole front axle rebuild so i have some experience to do the alfa right
34FD0D8C-FDC8-463C-9872-44CBAE2DA1F1.jpeg

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
The engine pictured is a 2L if I am not mistaken, I’ve never worked with a 1750 so I could certainly be wrong.

But I believe that 2 in the circle means it’s a two litre.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's most likely a 1.6 head.

The number does not equate to the capacity, it's an internal batch or mold code used by the factory.

The 2l head is not compatible with 1750 blocks, but the 1.6 is. Therefore the most likely outcome is that it's a 1.6. What looks like an asterix inside the square may just be some casting defects, or some extra designation on a 1.6 symbol.

Have a look at this thread - alfa romeo nord engine identification

I believe 1.6 heads have smaller ports but this is not necessarily detrimental depending on your use. Valve size is the same. In fact some folks prefer smaller ports and say they deliver more torque (usually when the shape has been improved though). With the motor apart I might consider doing some minor port/valve seat reshaping if time/budget permits. Plenty of info here on the BB.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts