Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am assuming you have the cartridge type filter, not a spin-on conversion....

There's a pressure ring at the bottom of the canister that sits around the central post. It goes against the bottom of the paper filter. this can fall out easily, so if you don't have it, it could be lost and you need it. At the top, there is another pressure seal that's spring loaded. You should be able to push it up and down up inside the housing (that's mounted to the block). The spring is pretty stiff, so use some muscle to convince yourself its there.
Next, there is a large square-cut O-ring that seals the canister to the housing. Probably should be replaced at each change.

I have had trouble finding the square cut rubber washer that fits over the bolt, at least one that's for oil service (plumbing parts are exact size, but for water service). A round cut O-ring may suffice.

My oil housing/canister assembly is all off the car at the moment, so if need be, I can send a pic of what all this stuff looks like.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
380 Posts
O.K.
Here's a couple of pictures that shows the stuff I was talking about.
In one picture, you see the bottom metal seal in place, sitting down at the bottom of the central post. In the annotated pic, I balanced it at the top of the post to see it better. The housing, of course, would be inverted from this when its mounted on the block.

Papajam is "da man" on this stuff, so I bet he has much better info on the various types of oil filter systems used. I was unaware there was such a variety till I saw his reply on this thread...:eek:

Cheers,

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hmmm...
I've not seen this type of filter you describe. Then again, I didn't know there were so many types till I read Papajam's post.

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts