Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just done an oil and filter change and want to make sure I have all seals fitted. None came with the filter and I reused the filter bowl to housing and bolt seal again with success. Is there anything inside the bowl, seal/spring as nothing fell out. The manual talks about a seal at the bottom of the cannister but if there is one I don't know what it looks like or how it fits. How is the filiter fitted, all I did was pop the filter in the bowl, offered up to the housing and fitted the bolt.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am assuming you have the cartridge type filter, not a spin-on conversion....

There's a pressure ring at the bottom of the canister that sits around the central post. It goes against the bottom of the paper filter. this can fall out easily, so if you don't have it, it could be lost and you need it. At the top, there is another pressure seal that's spring loaded. You should be able to push it up and down up inside the housing (that's mounted to the block). The spring is pretty stiff, so use some muscle to convince yourself its there.
Next, there is a large square-cut O-ring that seals the canister to the housing. Probably should be replaced at each change.

I have had trouble finding the square cut rubber washer that fits over the bolt, at least one that's for oil service (plumbing parts are exact size, but for water service). A round cut O-ring may suffice.

My oil housing/canister assembly is all off the car at the moment, so if need be, I can send a pic of what all this stuff looks like.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jjb, if you have some pictures that would be most helpful. Nothing came out of the cannister to my knowledge and I do not recall seeing a spring at the upper end, just a seal in housing which the cannister fits against

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
To complicate matters a bit, Alfa used SIX different oil filter housing suppliers;
Comit
Falcos
Fiamm
Filt
Fispa
Fram
and all are slightly different. If you know which one you have, I'll post the parts breakdown. The brand is printed on the canister but over the years, the printing wears off. :(

·
Registered
380 Posts
O.K.
Here's a couple of pictures that shows the stuff I was talking about.
In one picture, you see the bottom metal seal in place, sitting down at the bottom of the central post. In the annotated pic, I balanced it at the top of the post to see it better. The housing, of course, would be inverted from this when its mounted on the block.

Papajam is "da man" on this stuff, so I bet he has much better info on the various types of oil filter systems used. I was unaware there was such a variety till I saw his reply on this thread...:eek:

Cheers,

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks jjb and papajam. Now I have two cars, the second being a Euro 1750 Spider. Both have unmarked cannisters and both have the bottom metal ring seal missing so I wonder if as Papajam says there are several versions and maybe they don't all have this bottom seal. The bottom of the cannister is domed and it looks as if the filter will seat. My filters have paper end seals, not rubber, but the ones taken out were the same. I note the upper spring and I can deprees it so think it is ok. I'm concerned as I know only too well that if the filter does not seat correctly the full filtering action is lost. The filter has been in around 300 miles and there is no discolouration to the oil so perhaps all is well. Any reassurance would help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts