Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1968 1750 motor that has been sitting since 1974 without a cylinder head. Took it to a machine shop familiar with Alfa motors. They removed the old liners and when installing new liners they used the correct o rings. They also used red locktite to hold them in place. Block has not been assembled yet as I have reservations about the locktite. Any suggestions as far as the locktite is concerned? Anyone ever use it before? Should I have the locktite removed before I go further.
Thanks.

·
Registered
561 Posts
***... Familiar with Alfa engines my *rse! What does familiar mean? They watched The Graduate once....

The only way this will work is if the liners were clamped down immediately. The loctite will harden and the liners will be held liners off their seats by the seals. Therefore making the liners proud. If the liner seats were in good nick, this measure is totally unnecesary.... the force from the head head holds the liners in place!

Should I have the locktite removed before I go further.
Get them to remove them at their expense and take it to a real Alfa shop to check the ENTIRE job is my advise.

·
Super Moderator
10,634 Posts
They removed the old liners and when installing new liners they used the correct o rings. They also used red locktite to hold them in place.
Are you sure what they used was red loctite (first photo below)? I agree with Clayton105, any machine shop, even one that never saw "The Graduate" should know better than to do that.

Are you sure they didn't use red, high temp RTV? Maybe RTV packaged and sold by the Loctite company (second photo below)? That's what I use when installing liners (as well as the stock O rings of course). RTV is quite flexible (unlike Loctite threadlocker), so the liners can move down as the head compresses them.

When these blocks were new and uncorroded, the stock O rings alone would seal just fine. But once that sealing surface gets some corrosion pits, I like to have some sealant (e.g., RTV) as a "belt and suspenders" solution.

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
There is a red loctite sealant, I think 518, which is flexible and nonhardening, and I use it for liner o-rings.

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
10,634 Posts
There is a red loctite sealant, I think 518, which is flexible and nonhardening, and I use it for liner o-rings.
Yes, the Loctite company sells many, many varieties of sealant. Without knowing which one 575 Maranello's shop used, it's premature to criticize them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was the red Loctite like Alfajay posted in the first pic. I removed it and am in the process of doing the liners again. Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts