Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, first post here on BB.

was wondering if anyone can id these headlights for me, there on my Mk1 1750 but not to sure they are the right style....

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Hi,

Are you trying to go for the 'as it left the factory look'? Getting harder to do as original parts supply dry up. The inners you have are as per original but the other are a latter lamp. No biggie as they are what were used on the later 105's. The correct lamp is like in my pic which is what I put on my Super but are exceeding hard to find in RHD now. Note the cursive Carello script like your inner lamp.

I think Carello went to the block script in the early 70's. If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me soon...

Best bet is to find a lamp that you like the look of and are happy with the brightness. If you follow the NOS path your wallet will empty very fast!

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Derek, by the way great web page! bookmarked it ages ago and has been a great resource...

oks so the outers more likely a later model, thanks..
might have sourced some nos inner and outers, mine have some corrosion inside.
Are they still worth reselling them in the state they are in??

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Not worth much with corroded reflectors, but worth putting aside. The problem is that nowhere in Australia does proper resilvering. If you put them on ebay I am sure someone will still buy them though.

Must get back to updating that website too...

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I think that is one of the reason why many 1750s these days don't have Carellos. The inner reflectors typically rust out.

Hella H4s are a far better bet, producing much better lighting power. Or even go one stage further, and try out the best offerings available from Alfaholics, with their Xenon replacements.

Aside from originality purposes I cannot fathom the point of Carellos. But perhaps that is just me, I kinda like being able to see where I am going at night when driving.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
hehe, Dave I still think you have never tried a new pair of Carellos. :p They are bright! Stuff some xenons in there and you have the best of both worlds! And yes i think the Carello glass is way prettier than the Hellas. Its the little details that do it for me on these cars. Tempted to run a pair of those nipple carello inners on my car at some point even though they weren't an Aussie delivery option

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I guess that is a fair call Derek.

I am only going from my past experience with Carellos and not being remotely impressed by them. Hence H4s on my GTV in the past and now Giulia, while Marchals on my Fiat 124 sport.

I havn't tried 'new" Carellos. I get what you say re if could insert xenons and of course, ditto re the finer details being important.

Thanks mate.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi There,

funny thread as I just bought yesterday some new Repros of the Carellos shown in Alfa2go's Post.

You can find them for approx 100.- EUR/pair on the "Electonic Bay" and yes these are repros as the real Carellos will put you back by approx 300.- to 400.- EUR /Par (at least that are the prices I've seen). I tend to think that this is way overpaid for a headlight assembly, that is IMHO of a so-so quality

The repros I received are alsmost a perfect match to the originals, exception made of a exterior Gutter between the glass edge and the reflector housing. On the originals the gutter is filled with a sort of white bounding/hardened out compound of some sort.

I will simply fill this with white silicone paste and that will do the trick for me. I believe this to be important since otherwise water will stay in this gutter and slowly but surely will bring the whole assembly to rust (my two cents)

Ah and the external paint on the reflector case is yellow intead of brownish, but once mounted in and the gap filled it is impossble to tell the difference.

Greets

Toli0815

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Toli,

I do not know how stringent the annual inspection test is in your part of the world but, here in the UK, I have now heard three different people tell me that their cars have failed this inspection because the repro Carello headlights do not focus the beam correctly. At a pinch, you could temporarily fit cheap Hellas (etc) for the test, and use the repros for the rest of the year .... assuming you do not intend to actually use them! I do not know who is making these but their moulds obviously need some serious fine-tuning.

Everyone looking for real RHD lenses can blame Mr Entesano for single-handedly bumping up the worldwide market, after he paid a truly larcenous price for a couple of new ones. Right, Derek? :rolleyes: :D

Alex.

PS: I'm not impressed by the quality of some repro Carello indicator lenses, either. The details are crisp enough on the outside, but you can tell that they have not been injection-moulded but probably cold poured using some kind of coloured resin. As a result the lenses do not have the same clarity you would find with the originals. It's a small point, because they will work well enough, but arguably not good enough for a concours rebuild.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Yes this is a definite 'each to their own' topic, but as for the repro Carello headlights, every pic of them I have seen, they appear cloudy. They almost look like they are plastic instead of glass.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Since when are Hellas cheap? Last time I looked they weren't and they are undoubtedly IMHO a very decent headlight, barring the issues of aesthetics that Derek noted.

Hey Alex sadly to say it is not just the likes of a certain Mr Entesano :) !! who has snapped up the last remaining stocks of NOS Carellos, there is also my mate here in Hobart who similarly single handly has done likewise as well as another Australian gentleman of refined taste by the oddly Mexican name (hence south of the border) who also is adept at the art of purchasing power.

It would be really interesting to put up a real Carello against a reproduction item in a lighting test-off to ascertain the exact differences in lighting quality etc.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Everyone looking for real RHD lenses can blame Mr Entesano for single-handedly bumping up the worldwide market, after he paid a truly larcenous price for a couple of new ones. Right, Derek? :rolleyes: :D
Well my first pair of NOS RHD Carellos were had for $50 about 6 years ago! And that last pair you talk of, well I had to sell them to raise funds for that new car in my signature... Oh, and I got a bit more for them that what I paid :thumbup: Cheap compared to others I have seen for sale!

I do have a couple of pair of old Carellos with flakey reflectors like the OP, I am gonna have a crack at swapping the glass out onto some modern bowls just for sh*ts and giggles.

Dave, a beam-off contest sounds fun!

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
To continue the gentle and fine art of Brits ribbing Aussies (and vice versa), I am having two sets of RHD headlights restored in Italy for about the same price as you all thought you needed to pay for one NOS light. Proper vacuum metallization process and all. Sick bag, anyone? :D

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Good work Alex! I'm not worried cos I am out of it better than what I put in. You will do well selling your second pair too! Trying to think of an item I overpaid the most on. Though I doubt it is as much as whoever bought that pitted ashtray for 387GBP recently :eek:hmy:

Thats it I'm starting a new thread on that topic!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Good work Alex! I'm not worried cos I am out of it better than what I put in. You will do well selling your second pair too! Trying to think of an item I overpaid the most on. Though I doubt it is as much as whoever bought that pitted ashtray for 387GBP recently :eek:hmy:

Thats it I'm starting a new thread on that topic!
Yes possibly not a bad idea Derek, as we kind of are going a little off-track from the original thread. You have got to be kidding about that ashtray price. Madonna, what with some of the stuff I have laying around let alone all my brother's Alfa and other classic wrecks we would have to be sitting on a fortune waiting to be realized. Seriously, my brother's collection of Alfas, Fiats, Lancias, Mercedes, Jaguar, Riley, Porsche etc etc is sadly heading up towards 90 cars !!

Hey Alex you do realize of course that out here in Oz, the gentle art of ribbing or as we call it sledging, is a National past-time.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
At the risk of going seriously off-topic, I saw an ordinary glass screw-top jar (in a BMC cardboard box) sell for £403 today. I can only reach the conclusion that there are even more deeply afflicted people in the Mini Cooper 'S' world than the Alfa world, although that thought brings me little consolation as I have been hankering after one of these for too long and have probably missed the boat ...

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Not worth much with corroded reflectors, but worth putting aside. The problem is that nowhere in Australia does proper resilvering. If you put them on ebay I am sure someone will still buy them though.
What about removing a good, cursive lens from a corroded reflector and installing it on a new reflector, or even a new design reflector with a modern high-output bulb? The lenses are just glued-on and so it should be easy to remove a good lens from a bad reflector. The problem, however, is what kind of adhesive did the oem makers use to fit their lenses to reflectors when they were made? Is there a viable substitute?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts