Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally I manage to take some pictures of my GTV. However, I do apologize for the quality as they were taken by a phone camera.

I bought this car from someone who has just imported it from Australia, but history unknown. Marco from Automobilismo Storico Alfa Romeo was nice enough to confirm that my car is of series 105.45, and "was manufactured on the 14th June 1968 and sold on the 17th June 1968 in Melbourne , Australia .The body colour is Alfa red, with black skai interiors."

The interior is in good shape by the engine, gearbox and suspension will need a major overhaul. I intend to complete the mechanical restoration by its 40th birthday - June 14th 2008.

( does anyone knows why my dash is missing a hazard light switch ? Was it not mandatory back then ? But later model has one to the far right - RHD model )

Attachments

·
Registered
867 Posts
Nice car,

What wheel do you have? they look interesting from what i can see.

Rich

·
Registered
343 Posts
Congratulations! What a nice looking GTV.
Are you going to restore her to stock or with upgrades and modifications?
Happy motoring!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi WowoW,

My car is almost the twin of yours. It was made on 28 June and also sold in Australia. It seems you have the prettier twin that has been well looked after, mine had a rough life (but is lots of fun when provoked).

Mine has no hazard light switch and I don't think it was mandatory back then. Australian compliance started in about 1972 I think so cars before that time had an easier path with the rules.

(Rich, my guess is that the wheels are Simmons).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys, thanks for the compliment.

The car is running fine except for one fo the cylinder running at below standard compression. Anyway, I will rebuild the engine, cab, breaks and change all gaskets and bushings. I will order my parts form Classic Alfa as they seem to be the cheapest ( given that I am in HK so shipping is the same whether I order them from the US or the UK ).

Andrew, can you post some pic of your car ?

I believe this is the only 1750 GTV in Hong Kong. After searching through many classic club, alfa club forums, there are also a Duetto, 2 70's spider ( which I own one of them ), 1300 Junior, two 2000 GTV and 2 more bertone style alfas in HK.

Here's a pic of my spider

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rich, I have no idea what is the brand of the wheel. They don't look too good and is in terrible condition. I will try to get a close-up pic for you.

Guys, by the way, I come across a 86 GTV6 with only 15000 miles, asking USD 10,000. Very Good condition. Owned by a local Alfa club member. I am thinking of getting it because of its ultra low mileage. What do you guys think ?

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
If you have the money, buy it! There is not much better than a really nice GTV6. My GTV6 was one of the very best cars I've ever driven. Probably the best sounding exhaust note for under $50K, too. :)

Karl

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Guys, by the way, I come across a 86 GTV6 with only 15000 miles, asking USD 10,000. Very Good condition. Owned by a local Alfa club member. I am thinking of getting it because of its ultra low mileage. What do you guys think ?
This past year we've seen several excellent GTV6s, with low mileage like the one you have found. These cars are not easy to sell in the U.S., but an exceptional example always sparks interest. All the cars offered were sold in the mid teens or more. So, at ten thousand, the car you found is a bargain by U.S. standards.

Best regards,

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Given that I already own 2 outstanding Alfas, great interior, handling, sound.. Will the GTV6 gives me any addition pleasure ? I agree with its "iconic" status within Alfa, but for some reason, I really dislike the dash/gauge design, and all those plastic. One good thing is that it comes with air con. I guess I already answer myself....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the first time I see this kind of air filter layout in a GTV. Or was mine has been modified. Mine is like this. My break servo seems different from most GTV as well. Mine is black while all the others, whether its single or dual circuit, has golden colour.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I think those wheels are Australian ROH, which is likely seeing the car spent most of its life there.

I am interested in the date that Marco provided you as it is a series 2, or at least it has a lot of series 2 parts; dials, bumpers and it has its indicators and side markers in the body. It has a series 1 steering wheel, or at least the centre cap.

I am not being picky, i'm just interested that they said it was a '68.

Good luck restoring it, its a nice little machine.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I think those wheels are Australian ROH, which is likely seeing the car spent most of its life there.
"Performance Delta" maybe? I had very similar on my Alfetta GTV years ago (and another set on a parts car)... Right pain in the *** to clean.
The lip is wrong for simmons.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
italiansedanman, I will be happy to find out what is original and what is not. I am attaching more photos....

Here's what Marco wrote to me : "series 105.45, was manufactured on the 14th June 1968 and sold on the 17th June 1968 in Melbourne , Australia .The body colour is Alfa red, with black skai interiors."

Attachments

·
Registered
1965 Giulia TI/1998 Spider
3,938 Posts
italiansedanman, I will be happy to find out what is original and what is not. I am attaching more photos....

Here's what Marco wrote to me : "series 105.45, was manufactured on the 14th June 1968 and sold on the 17th June 1968 in Melbourne , Australia .The body colour is Alfa red, with black skai interiors."
I have the same issue!! My car, be it a 105.44 LHD, was produced in September 1969, which would also make it a Series 1. However, I also have the Series 2 bumpers with overriders, the Series 2 front blinkers (see difference with AndrewO's car) and tail lights.
Seats, standing pedals etc all indicate Series 1
So either our cars had some serious work done, or Alfa mixed and matched some:rolleyes:

·
Registered
204 Posts
The body appears to be in very good nic, lovely car. hey do you guys know where the arial should be? I have a 71 1750 and its out the rear left, unlike the one on your car.

·
Registered
496 Posts
So either our cars had some serious work done, or Alfa mixed and matched some:rolleyes:
I have had this debate a lot of times with different people. In this timeframe there is just no such thing as a 'correct' car. True, many people's cars have had parts replaced, but I have seen very few cars in the 1968-1971 era that have all the 'correct' parts for their year/time of manufacture. Keep in mind that Alfa was producing the newer body shell and older one at the same time for the GTV and Junior respectively during part of this time. They also had multiple suppliers for each kind of part and not all pieces would have arrived at exactly the same time. It's well known that Iso parts ended up in Montreals after Alfa bought the Iso plant. They just used what was on hand. Out of GTV parts? Hit the Junior bin... All the new parts gone? Well there is that box of older door handles we didn't use...

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all RHD cars had standing pedals?

Karl

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Geez, the paint looks good!

Its got series 1 seats too I can see, so it seems like a bit of a mix. Although I hear what MArco is saying, is seems odd that a 1750 built as early as 1968 would have body mounted front indicators and series 2 bumpers.

Odd.

They're definately an Australian wheel, as Strega said but I am not sure exactly what brand they are.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Although I hear what MArco is saying, is seems odd that a 1750 built as early as 1968 would have body mounted front indicators and series 2 bumpers.
True... it's a bit early for that. You can always check for front-end damage to see if the panel was replaced. Darn nice car either way. :)

Karl

1 - 20 of 32 Posts