Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I swear I wrote this post already, but can't find it! Hope this isn't a duplicate.

Trying to make sure I've got the correct taillights for my 1968 mk1 GTV (RHD Australian-delivered). I believe they are correct, but a couple of folk have been surprised to see that the bodies are actually chromed plastic, expecting them to be chromed pot-metal.

Can anyone confirm that the Carello taillight housings were chromed plastic originally?

thanks,
Evan.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I'd wait for the 1750 experts to chime in, but I thought only the Sprint GT had the chromed pot metal housings, the GT Veloce got chromed plastic although different to yours in that the chromed plastic surround was actually part of the lens componetn and not the housing. Would've been surprised if they went back to the pot metal after the 1600 GT Veloce.

·
Administrator
13,633 Posts
I think very early 1750's had this style.

I had an as new example but sold it for near to nothing ... sigh.
Pete

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Pete you are right that the long skinny reflector was on for the early S1 1750s. Papajam explains it well in another post.

The short version of the lens saga is that three different types of one piece lenses were fitted to the 1750. For the 1968 model year, Alfa fitted long, skinny reflector Carellos. Later in the production year, a transition to the square reflector Carellos took place. At this same time, Alfa also added the long, skinny reflector Altissimo to the mix. So theoretically, a 1969 model year car could have been fitted any of these lenses.
I doubt they wouldn't have had two types of housing for such a short run of long skinny reflector type lenses?

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
To expand a bit on the above quote, both the Altissimo and Carello versions of the long, skinny reflector lenses have the chrome surround on the base, not the lens. The square reflector Carellos have the chrome on the lens, not the base.
All versions have plastic bases but none are interchangeable with another.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm concluding that what I have is correct. Thanks folks!

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Yes, what you have is correct.

If you're interested, I have an NOS long reflector Carello right side lens for sale.

·
Registered
158 Posts
This may be of use - a rear end shot of a Kiwi Series 1 1750 - registered early 1969. I'd think the Oz/Kiwi car would be similar.

I have a few more general photos of this car, if needed for reference (PM me).
It was pretty original throughout - in fact it was so original it put me off for the price at the time
Photos were back in Feb 09 at a dealers - Wonder where it is ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
That rear bumper looks very very similar to a Sprint GT Veloce one. Are they the same ?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There's some lovely shots of an original LHD Euro Mk1 GTV in this thread:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/picture-room/13405-summertime-livin-easy.html

e.g.

I'm no expert, and I've never compared them - but I think that the rear bar looks identical to the earlier Sprint GT/V. The front bar is very similar, but with cut outs for the bumper-mounted front indicators (different for the US).

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
According to my 1750 US parts catalog, my 1750 Euro catalog, and my 67 Sprint GT Veloce catalog, all three bumpers have the same part numbers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts