Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,
So my Dad and I have finished with our 1971 BMW 3.0CS and it's time to get an Alfa.

I've moved from Australia to Los Angeles California and am looking for a Europe Spec 1750 GTV. I'm not sure if I am correct in thinking that the Europe spec cars have the slim bumpers and no side indicator lights? If so, then that's what I am looking for!

I'm planing on using the car as a daily driver, so it doesn't need to be in perfect condition. Ideally it would be relatively rust free, have a good quality head liner and dash.

The perfect car would have come from the factory in navy blue color (Am I right to think they came in that color? I'm pretty sure they did).

The long term plan is to restore the car to as close to original as I can, so if your car has had any hard-to-reverse modifications (excluding engine work of course) to it, then I'm probably not interested.

UPDATE: Thanks to the post by Fangio, I now know my ideal Alfa is a Euro Spec 1969 1750 GTV. A US Spec will suffice too. Preferably in Dutch Blue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Hi Drewbaker and welcome to the AlfaBB! The 3.0 CS is a fantastic car. Post up some photos in the "Off-Topic" forum when you get the chance. I'd love to see it!

The Euro Spec 1750 GTVs have a single, round side marker light on the front fenders only. The '69 has a "slim bumper" with no overriders. Post '69s have bumper overriders. All Euro 1750s have small rear tail lights with a "1750" script on the trunk (boot) instead of the US spec large tail lights and "Alfa Romeo" script on the trunk. Also the Euros have the front turn signals on the top of the bumper whereas the US Spec turn signals are below the bumper.

Good luck. Real Euros are hard (yet not impossible) to find in the US.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Althou they were imported to Canada and a few have found their way south.
Still, rust free and blue might be the hard part...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey guys,
Thanks so much for the tips.

As for the 3.0, you can see a lot of photos of it on the e9coupe.com fourms here:
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5267

The 1971 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet shown in the first post is the result of the project before the BMW.

From what fangio8c said, I'm after a Euro Spec 1969 1750 GTV. The slim bumpers and small light's are just so much nicer looking to me. I know you can delete these off the newer cars, but it's just not the same is it?

I've updated my original post to reflect this.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
At that rate why not consider a US Spec '69? Easier to find (yet very desirable so you'll have to look hard) and you can always convert the Spica to Webers if that's what you're after. Don't forget the '69s have floor pedals and all post-'69 GTVs have hanging pedals.

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
The Euro Spec 1750 GTVs have a single, round side marker light on the front fenders only.
To add to this, the fender mounted front side markers are on the Series 2 1750s (1970-1972). The 1968-1970 Series 1 cars do not have fender mounter side markers; the markers are built into the bumper mounted turn signal/parking light assemblies.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Althou they were imported to Canada and a few have found their way south.
Still, rust free and blue might be the hard part...
I like to think of the Carburetted 105 1750's that came to Canada for model year 1969 and maybe some 1970s and some in 1971, as Canadian Spec Alfas. They were likely available in all 3 chassis.

Main or only difference being Gauges in English. Other English gauged cars, to my Knowledge were RHD.

Most ended up very rusty and now gone, alas.

FWIW

Ken

·
Registered
311 Posts
Kinda of on the wrong coast, but I have a friend who is selling a Euro ( french Market) 69 1750 GTV, Red/Black. A great driver, priced very reasonable, if you have interest. please email me directly [email protected]

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To add to this, the fender mounted front side markers are on the Series 2 1750s (1970-1972). The 1968-1970 Series 1 cars do not have fender mounter side markers; the markers are built into the bumper mounted turn signal/parking light assemblies.
That's interesting, what do you make of this 1968 Euro 1750 then? It's turn signals are on the fender and it has a Alfa Romeo badge on the trunk.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260692087487&ru=http://search.ebay.com:80/search/search.dll?&rvr_id=207894858304&satitle=260692087487&fvi=1&viewitem=

If what you guys say is correct, then the above linked car is a bit of a mismatch. The read trunk badge says Alfa Romeo, which according to fangio8c it should be a 1750 badge on the Euro models. Is it possible the seller got the year wrong? Or maybe it's not from Europe originally?

@Papajam, do you have any photos of your Series 1 GTV? What year is it? I'm struggling to get my head around all the variations of the these Alfa's. I just want a 1750 with the smallest headlight/rear-light/turn signal setups they came in and with the slim fender.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
There are lots on non original things on that car from the later script on the rear deck to the air conditioner. In addition my 69 GTV with a 68 build date had the same cam cover and air cleaner as the 1600. The passenger seat is mounted on the drivers side. Lots of personalization could have been done during the restoration.

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
The ebay GTV looks to be a pretty decent Series 1 Euro 1750 that was restored to the owner's personal tastes. As Ken said, there are many non original items. Some of the not so obvious are Series 2 USA armrests, an extra dashboard light, lighted heat control levers, USA version toggle switches, Benditalia brake booster (should be a Lockheed), etc.

Learning the differences between the 6 1750 GTV variants (plus some market differences) can take years of study (I'm still learning). There are of number of threads on this BB that discuss both the major and minor differences.

I just want a 1750 with the smallest headlight/rear-light/turn signal setups they came in and with the slim fender.
This would be either the Series 1 Euro or its Canadian variant (which has gauges in English and Imperial units of measure).

I'll try to dig up some pics...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi Drew,

I have a Euro 1970 GTV project that has been covered in bondo (don't ask) even though it has minimal rust! The car is currently residing in my trailer as not long after I picked it up we got buried in snow so I have yet to totally evaluate it or get any photos, but it seems to be complete and original. The interior needs work, specifically cracked dash and tears in the front seats, etc.. The engine turns over freely but I have not gotten it running yet. I am asking 5k for it as is but I am currently desperate for cash as I just got divorced so if interested, I am open to offers. BTW, car is in the Boston area. I also have an early 1969 U.S. spec GTV project but it will require a bit more work!

Thanks,

Lou Shames
Fat Dog Vintage Auto
[email protected]
508-930-1323

·
Registered
581 Posts
i agree with fangio, you're more likely to find a US spec 69 1750 over here, and they have most of the options you are looking for. They also sport flying buttress seats, and you can convert to euro spec weber carbs. Moreover, i would give the mechanical fuel injection a chance if the fuel injection is properly set up it works very well, and having owned both systems myself I would recommend the fuel injection.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Break out the MIG welder for that one !!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts