Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my dashboard out of the 1750 GTV. There is apparently a piece missing. Left of the Steering column. Square hole in the dash below the wood section. What is suppose to be there? Please! Looks like there may have been a small handle or something.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
I have my dashboard out of the 1750 GTV. There is apparently a piece missing. Left of the Steering column. Square hole in the dash below the wood section. What is suppose to be there? Please! Looks like there may have been a small handle or something.
Hi, You do not say what market 1750 GTV but if I assume US FI model then it should be covered with a black Upholstered plate held by 4 black plastic push rivets (I do not know correct name of these fasteners). On carbureted models the fast idle and choke handles (levers) go there.

I think!!!

FWIW

Ken

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
you mean the throttle and choke levers?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a gtv 1971 1750 Spica Car. Yes I think there is four holes to mount something. You guys got any pics. Where can i get what is suppose to be there?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Similar position, but quite different lever arrangement. I'm sure someone will pop up with a photo for you shortly.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Some pictures

Here are some pictures of what we have talking about. But I could not find a dash with the FI 1750 covering plate. If memory serves it is just a piece of sheet steel with black vinyl material glued on; 4 holes for the black plastic fasteners.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here are some pictures of what we have talking about. But I could not find a dash with the FI 1750 covering plate. If memory serves it is just a piece of sheet steel with black vinyl material glued on; 4 holes for the black plastic fasteners.
Here's a pic from my car. It has a texture similar to but not as heavy as the rest of the IP

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
My Dads S1 USA 1750 GTV had the same layout as Ken's 2nd photo in post #7, except it had only 1 handle/lever for fast idle/accel? It has long since been converted to carbs and has the 2 handles/levers of a Euro/Canadian/carbureted 1750 GTV. So I wonder did the S2 have the cover plate as in post #8 and the S1 have 1 accel lever. It was the same hardware as a 2 lever set up with 1 lever removed or never installed, unless this was all the previous owners modification? .AA.'s GTV is a S2 USA car so I may be on to something here.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My car is a Spica Car that will be converted to Webers when its all back together. The lever hole looks like what KenGTA has posted. These would be great to have to operate the cold start devices on the Webers but it would also be great to have with the Spica system to operate my old Shankle Sure-Start if I go back to fuel injection.

Anyone know where I could get a set of levers?

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
I think I may have a few of them for sale.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi guys - came across this thread while starting to search on a question I have and I figured since this thread is already discussing the 1750 dash it might be a good place to ask my question rather than starting a new thread.

I'm putting a 1750 dash in my '72 (original dash was destroyed in a fire & I like the 1750 style better and found a fiberglass one) and have a question about the "idiot lights" in the 1750 dash & which one is which.

The 1st pic in post #7 by kengta shows the left side of the dash. I see a toggle switch, a missing light then a red, blue and finally a green "idiot" light.

Based on an old pic I found of my '71 Euro 1750 that area housed the rear defrost button (pretty sure that's what it was - could be hazerd I guess) then a red, red, red then blue light (going from left to right). It's been so long since I owned the car that I can't remember what light was what, and I have no clue how true to being original they were.

Can anyone tell me which layout would be "correct" and what lights indicate what function?

Also in the pic I found there seems to be 1 "idiot" light on the right side of the dash next to the speedo. What does this one indicate or what is it supposed to be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Hi guys - came across this thread while starting to search on a question I have and I figured since this thread is already discussing the 1750 dash it might be a good place to ask my question rather than starting a new thread.

I'm putting a 1750 dash in my '72 (original dash was destroyed in a fire & I like the 1750 style better and found a fiberglass one) and have a question about the "idiot lights" in the 1750 dash & which one is which.

The 1st pic in post #7 by kengta shows the left side of the dash. I see a toggle switch, a missing light then a red, blue and finally a green "idiot" light.

Based on an old pic I found of my '71 Euro 1750 that area housed the rear defrost button (pretty sure that's what it was - could be hazerd I guess) then a red, red, red then blue light (going from left to right). It's been so long since I owned the car that I can't remember what light was what, and I have no clue how true to being original they were.

Can anyone tell me which layout would be "correct" and what lights indicate what function?

Also in the pic I found there seems to be 1 "idiot" light on the right side of the dash next to the speedo. What does this one indicate or what is it supposed to be?

Thanks!
There is variation, between years, between, Canadian, USA and GTJ. CAn could same layout as Euro but I am not sure.

So you need to decide which setup you are trying to achieve. Do you have all the lights and gauges from another dash. If not e-mail me. Your probably need to continue your research till your know you can accommodate all the 2 litre requirements. I'm guessing that a 1971 USA 1750 setup would be closest

FWIW

Ken

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Yes, as Ken said, there are a number of different 1750 dash configurations; 6 that I know of. Posting a pic of your dash may be of help.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks guys. I had no clue there were that many. I figured US vs Euro so 2, but not 6 in total.

Truth be told I'm not particularly picky in what is "correct" as far as originality as my poor car is FAR from that. I just wanted to be sure all warning lights from my 2000 would be covered in my new setup.

Let me load some pics in photobucket (need to do so to start my "build thread" anyways) and I'll post up the '71 Euro dash pic I was using as a reference & then one of how I have my fiberglass dash set up.

Ok - here's the pics.
1st - dash pic of my old '71 euro GTV that I was using as reference

2nd - not a great pic but semi current pic of the fiberglass dash I'm using. Note I won't be running a center console in this car so the gauges that were usually found in that are in the dash.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Your Series 2 1750 Euro dash warning lights from left to right are (were);

red - choke
red - handbrake
blue - mainbeam
green - parking lamps
green - turn signal indicator
red - service brake fluid level

The pushbutton switch above the handbrake and mainbeam lights is for the rear window demister.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Awesome - thank you!

I had guesses as to them based on color (blue seemed easy at least) but it's nice to verify.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts