Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Could someone help me by posting a close up photo of the point where the center console meets the dash on a 1750 GTV? I want to see how snugly they should fit together.

Thanks

Ollie

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats great thanks. I didn't realise that the chrome strip went along the top of the upper console wood veneer as well as down the sides.

The colour of my original wood veneer is lighter than in Papajam's before photo. Is the colour of the replacement veneer in the after photo as it would have come out of the factory? Apart from the fading, my dash veneer is in reasonably good condition. The console veneers have peeled and have couple of cigarette burns so need replacing. If the replacements are going to be a similar colour to Papajam's I guess I will have to replace the dash veneer as well.

Do the four screws that attach the top brackets in the console to the dash just self tap? Mine won't grip and just turn in the holes.

Ollie

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Actually, that is not a chrome strip at the top of the console. It is a slightly flexible semi-hard (and semi-gloss) plastic (or rubber) that is black in color. What you're seeing in the pic is the reflection of the flash.

The original veneering was actually quite dark and had a tint of red. Over time, being exposed to sun and UV, the venner will lighten and eventually turn blonde.

Although there are four holes in the console top bracket, I've only ever seen two of them used. If the dash holes have been stripped or are too large, a machine screw with a washer and nut on the top will work just fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Papajam.

Were you able to replace the dash veneer without removing the entire dash?

Ollie

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Never tried replacing the veneer with the dash in situ. But having replaced countless dash veeners I think it would take FAR less time to simply remove the dash and work on it on the bench. At issue is the number, and location, of the trim retaining pushnuts. The pushnuts for the 1750 badge for example require removal of the glovebox. Dash removal takes about 30 minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts