Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm now (finally) bolting bits back on and have a new battery tray to install. The old tray was completely gone so I have no reference for the location of the new one.
Can anyone please measure the distance from the headlight bowl cutout near the radiator mounts to the front of the tray? See attached picture for a clearer explanation of the measurement I'm after.
As the bay has been painted, I'm going to have to rivet the tray to the body and support bracket. Though about welding the tray in place prior to painting but thought it better to get a good lick of paint across, under and around the tray area to ensure this area was well protected.
I plan to sandwich a plastic isolating plate between the tray and body to protect the paintwork even further.

Thanks for your help

Jon
1750 GTV 10548 (RHD)

Attachments

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hmmm, on my 115 GTV 2000 the distance is 3.75 inches but it's a pretty tight fit. You want to make sure that when it's installed and then the black plastic battery holder/heat deflector is placed on the battery tray, that they clear the radiator shroud by a few mm. If you're unsure, install the radiator and shroud, then find the proper location for the tray and battery holder and mark this location. Hope this helps:).
Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys
Being a RHD 1750 car V6 GTJ's dimension might be a safer bet, however I didn't appreciate that the radiator cowl would be the clearance problem. I thought the remote brake servo & exhaust manifold clearance would be. My thinking was back to front - thanks for the heads up Daveydog, I'll fit the radiater to be certain.
Actually I might even slot the tray and use bolts, for fine tuning.

This leads me to another question - What is the battery code/description?

Cheers
Jon

·
Registered
797 Posts
Mine's not so much of a code as a description. I bought a cheapie battery that has 600 cold cranking amps at 0* F. and 720 cranking amps at 32*F. (0*C.)
Buy one that fits the battery tray but watch out on the height because it must clear the bonnet lid when it's shut:eek:, so not too tall.
Both positive and negative terminals should be on the top of the battery on the side closest to the motor if you have the stock battery leads with the negative terminal closest to the radiator.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for that - And I thought the modern cars had a tight engine bay. I imagine the sparks would be rather spectacular with a too tall battery.

Bolting back together was supposed to be easy - But all the little (potential) problems are impossible to think of.. Wish I'd got the car whole and stripped it myself. At least I'd have some reference photos etc.
I think it's time to find a local GTV and photograph it 'till the flash fades the paintwork.

Jon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts