Alfa Romeo Forums banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
Beautiful!

Well done. Fire extinguisher time ... just in case ...
Pete

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
222 Posts
Great job, now drive it time! Mine is missing the map pocket somehow. I should try to find one.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Today I got to drive the car for the first time. Love it! And carrying a fire extinguisher on board just in case. The car is like new in every respect. I have had many classics, but never one in this condition. Its fantastic. Tomorrow I will rack up a lot of miles I think, to get to know the car.

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
I envy the feelings you must be experiencing now!

You should be very proud of the result
Pete

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Thank you! I am indeed very proud. I have been driving some 150 kms today. No glitches whatsoever. I think however the steering is very heavy. Something is not right there. Any ideas? And has it got anyting to do with the fact that I need to use force to activate the horn ( press down really hard on one of the 3 horn buttons )?

I must confess I also feel a little empty. The whole research thing, the search for parts, the process to have the car in restoration, has been SO much fun! I think I need to restore another car. One to drive, one to restore...... ;)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Heavy? With original steelies and @original size tyres and steering wheel? It should be light as a feather...fingertip steering...on the move. If you push the steering faster than the wheels want to move (eg at zero or near-zero speeds) it will indeed feel way heavier than your power-steered modern car.
it is of course possible that something is tight...but it’s unlikely to be associated with the horn button.
Try jacking the front of the car up and see/feel what happens when you turn the wheels full lock side-to-side? Should be smooth as butter.
I suppose wheel alignment being way out of spec could be an issue.

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
222 Posts
There is always another project of restoration or in some cases, preservation (like Clyde's 9000 mile Series 2 in Australia). Steering should be light with your set up. Track rod arms and bushings correctly fitted, alignment (as suggested) . Is there any heaviness when the wheels are off the floor?

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
222 Posts
If the wheel alignment has been done, everything should be ok. New steering box with correct lube?

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
Lets remember the steering being "light" is not light compared to modern over assisted cars, but on the move it should feel smooth, sensitive and directly connected to the road, but not Jaguar XJ6 light. Personally steering feel was the best thing about my 1750 before I pulled it apart!

But at low speed it will feel heavy compared to modern cars.
Pete

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Ok. Car passed its last ever inspection without any problems. And we got to check the steering with the front end jacked up during the inspection. The steering then was smooth. MAYBE one could argue that it could have been lighter still. The guy who did the inspection did not think it was heavy. He also drove the car. I still think it is heavy, so I spoke to my restorer again. With a completely restored steering box, it IS tight. But if you set it looser by removing shims, there will be more play. Thats his take on it. So I think it is ok, and also that it will become better after use. I have decided not to do anything about it at this point.
I do want to do something about the fact that the horn takes a lot of effort to get to operate. You have to push the spokes REALLY hard to provoce it into action. Ideas? How do I adjust that?

Finally: Today was a cool day. My son who is 17 years old, today drove a car for the very first time in his life. Guess which car? I think thats a really cool first drive.

I will try to remember to post some pics of the car now wearings its new registration plates tomorrow.

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
222 Posts
Good news. Never doubted it. The steering box will free up a bit I would expect, as will the new tyres bed in. On the horn, if it was me, I would check the contacts under the steering wheel. They need to be clean and close enough to each other to not require excessive movement from the tabs on the steering wheel itself (Horn contact issue ).

Horn contact.png

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Thank you Merv! Will look into the horn issue asap. And picture with the new plates. Car is truly ready....Driven every day. Looks different somehow now that its back in service, and not stuck in a garage during restoration..

121 - 137 of 137 Posts