Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Started on the block yesterday, got everything torn apart.
Engine was frozen, but when we took it apart, the crank/rod and bearings were great. Quick polish of the crank and new bearings while it's apart. Lots of sludge in the bottom of the engine...probably for sitting for so many years, so will be hot tanking a lot of the dirty parts.

Injection pump is being drained and then will be sent to Wes Ingram for a performance upgrade.

Funny, most of the time was spent scraping the caked on gaskets. We had to straighten two of the head studs which wasn't a huge deal.

I'll try to post more photos as I make progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Looks good ! A great running 1750 is a real joy !
My input at this point would be to remove the al. plugs from the crank oil galleries and give them a good cleaning. You will be suprised by all of the gunk that is trapped in there and all it takes is for one chunk to make its way to a bearing and it could ruin your whole day ;^)
Drill and tap the old plug holes and install hex plugs with red lokTite.
I also had my crank Nitro carborzed to harden it at this point.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good ! A great running 1750 is a real joy !
My input at this point would be to remove the al. plugs from the crank oil galleries and give them a good cleaning. You will be suprised by all of the gunk that is trapped in there and all it takes is for one chunk to make its way to a bearing and it could ruin your whole day ;^)
Drill and tap the old plug holes and install hex plugs with red lokTite.
I also had my crank Nitro carborzed to harden it at this point.
Thanks, I can't wait to get this thing all together, but I have so far to go :)

Took the plugs out yesterday and drilled all that nasty trash out of there, will definitely be putting hex plugs in there instead. I'll think about the nitro, but it's already at the shop being polished, so I may just leave it as-is.

I'll keep this thread updated as updates come.

On a side note, the front engine cover casting looks bizarre...anyone see a difference?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts