Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I own an A12 with an original 1300 petrol engine. The van is pretty heavy, so i was wondering if it's possible to mount 1750 (00548) engine in it to give it a little bit more power.

Has anyone of you got any experience with such a modification?

What are the «main problems» that I will encounter?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The main one will be stress on the driveshafts. I've heard rumours of a few people trying this, and then ending up with the rather more difficult issue of finding new shafts...

·
Premium Member
21,829 Posts
They came new with both 1300 and 1600 single-carb engines, so unless you keep your foot to the floor all the time, I wouldn't worry too much about increased torque. I had an F12 with Perkins diesel, which has 75-80 ft/lbs of torque, drove it flat-out cross country.

The u-joints are huge, and I would think are up to the torque if in good condition. Much bigger than 105/115 type, and not easily replicated in the US. I had one cup that was slightly loose, and the driveshaft shop that examined it for me was pretty awestruck about the size and strength. I had the whole LF hub and driveshaft off, and it's very substantial stuff. Again, if the condition is good, I wouldn't worry about the extra torque unless you build a race motor and run it wide open.

See my F12 thread for pics of the hub and u-joints.

Andrew

·
Registered
38 Posts
A friend of mine drives a F12 (in Germany) with a 1750 engine but with a single carb because the dual fitment would sit far too wide in the passengers legroom. Had a lot of stress with jetting it correctly.
He used a diesel gearbox because of the longer ratio.
Thom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts