Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

There appears to be a fuel pump issue with my '71 GTV1750 and I am thinking of switching to an electric pump. With many old cars still on the Kenyan roads, certain models of electric fuel pump are available for carb engines here. I did find some of the other past threads that have dealt with the location, set-up and sequence. Very useful. My questions, though:
1. Are there particular pressure and flow ratings to look for?
2. If installing an e-pump, do I need to do anything to where the mechanical pump had been connected to the engine block?
3. Are there any downsides to switching over to an e-pump? Should this be a last resort or will this be a positive move for the car's reliability and performance?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Are you sure that you have a fuel pump problem?

I presume that you have checked the obvious things such as
the paper element in the fuel filter.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I have recently done this to my 69, bc even after replacing the mechanical pump I could not get it to work. I know I may want to fix this eventually, but this car is not bone stock anyway. So, you can leave the old non working pump in place, which it what I did...or you probably want to fabricate a block off plate.
I assume your car is carb'd....so a low pressure fuel pump is in order. The pressure should not be more than 3.5-4 psi.....The one I got is a Facet pump, rated at 1.5-4 psi, works like a charm!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had some massive Jaguar 2-stage electric pump mated to my dual webers in my 69 1750 GTV, once spica now converted to dual Webers. Why do I have a dual race Jaguar 2-stage electric fuel pump thing, I'm not sure... that's the way it came on the car. Anyway, like most english stuff, it died... I was thinking to order this one:
Centerline Bendix Fuel Pump

This pump puts out 4.5-5psi. But now I'm worried that if I go bezerk on the race track / time trials / street I might need more fuel line pressure than this can provide. Maybe a higher pressure pump with a regulator that can be adjusted when I'm performance driving with the right foot glued to the floor? .... or am I completely insane to think I won't have enough pressure?

thanks for any input!
Clogged-Pump Meganerd

·
Registered
343 Posts
All these 1750 GTVs here are original Webber or converted to Webber.
My 1967 1750 GTV still has the original SPICA. My question is:
What is the flow / pressure rating of the 1969 SPICA ?
The cost of a 1969 Bosh pump is over $600, I am seeking alternative. If I upgrade the fuel pump to a higher pressure rating one alone, what will happen to the SPICA? Will the SPICA blow up or self adjusted.
Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
554 Posts
I didn't realize that these pumps cost so much there! Since in my Gt 1750 the old bosch unit died , I just replaced it with a new bosch like those in the photos and the result was amazing!I gave for both (one is spare) $300, new in the boxes.As for the fitment , wasn't a problem from the coaxial inlet/outlet not to mention that the new pump makes lower noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts