Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to tear down my 1750 engine in order to asses the overall condition of the major components. The #3 rod journal has some rather deep score marks and will definitely to be need machined down. So before contacting a machine shop I wanted to get some feedback from the engine experts on this BB on the following questions;
-can I machine the journals down to 3rd oversize if required to save the crank? (considering that I'm only going to be buiilding a mild street engine)
-will there be any hardening required after machining? (I was told that the 2L cranks need this for sure)
-what bearing sets should I go with afterwards? (I've seen some threads on this but was wondering if others have different opinions on this as well)..

..any other tips would be appreciated as well....

·
chiuso per ferie
11,764 Posts
I've decided to tear down my 1750 engine in order to asses the overall condition of the major components. The #3 rod journal has some rather deep score marks and will definitely to be need machined down. So before contacting a machine shop I wanted to get some feedback from the engine experts on this BB on the following questions;
-can I machine the journals down to 3rd oversize if required to save the crank? (considering that I'm only going to be buiilding a mild street engine)
-will there be any hardening required after machining? (I was told that the 2L cranks need this for sure)
-what bearing sets should I go with afterwards? (I've seen some threads on this but was wondering if others have different opinions on this as well)..

..any other tips would be appreciated as well....
The crank in my engine needed work. It was 20 under after it returned from the machine shop. I sent it out for hardning. I consider it cheap insurance.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Osso.
I took some quick measurements and it's looking like I'll only need to take off .020 and so should this should be a rather straight forward repair. Now, the concern I have about sending it out for hardeneing is the potential for them screwing up the hardening, thereby rendering the crank scrap. Of late I I find I'm becoming a believer in the theory that the less things are tampered with the better.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Spider Engine Removal

I've read mixed opinions on what the best way to pull the engine is... I'm doing a complete rebuild, but I'm not planning on doing anything with the trans, so should I leave it in the car then? If I unbolt the trans from the bell housing, will there be enough support for the transmission left to keep it from either damaging mounts or falling out of the car?

This is the first time I've ever pulled a motor myself, so I want to be extra sure! :)

*edit* : Okay... i'm a dumba$$... I meant to start a new thread on this in the engine rebuild forums... sorry! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts