Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
here is mine and my dads 1970 1750 berlina
we bought it about four years ago and haven't touched it until the last few weeks when I have started work on it. it needs a caliper kit put through all four corners, a new headliner, a new tie rod end, right hand side rear door needs rust repair, a new windscreen, a fresh lick of giallo ocra paint, the intake tube painted black and other little bits, new tyres and some better looking rims, new koni shocks, we have all the grill pieces and indicators and little things like that aswell.
the car will be used with the bumpers off and different rims and will hopefully look like the picture of a green berlina someone posted on here as this is not going to be a concourse condition build but rather a fun weekend car which can be enjoyed on some of the beautifull roads Tasmania has to offer!! don't worry though because everything we do to this car will be reversible though this build thread will be frustrating to some "alfisti" as ive never worked on a car before and may take some time between posts but luckily my dad has worked on fiat 131"s, 124"s and 500"s etc.
ive included some photos of the car and any comments, advice, ideas, or warnings :confused: will be greatly appreciated. also excuse the car cover still half on the car as I took the photos as I got home from school and was in a rush

Attachments

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Hi mate, all the best in the tidyup and enjoyment of your berlina. Where are you located in Tassie? I am in Hobart and previously had a 2L Berlina, still have a GTV and a Giulia Super under a very long and somewhat slow restoration.

I don't know if you know about either Club Motori Italia (I am currently the secretary) we are based out of Hobart or alternative the Italian Car Enthusiasts based out of Launceston. Send me a PM if you wish for more details.

My brother has the remains of my old Berlina, plus another 2 more 2L and a 1750 Berlina. So if you needed spares we might be able to help. A mate of mine also has a really tidy navy blue 2L Berlina and has a pile of spare parts including some 1750 stuff.

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Dave

I believe your brother has already helped us out with a boot lid and piece of trim that goes below the doors and yes, my dad and I are members of ICE up here in the north.
I also think I know of the blue 2L you mentioned, it was at an Italian day display out the front of parliament house and had a light coloured interior?
I have seen a picture of your GTV with a Fiat 124 in the background on here if I remember correctly and have also read the story on the super so far, from the one Giulia I have seen in the flesh yours will definitely be worth the time it takes to restore it, not too mention having a sedan and a coupe under the same roof!

Thanks Luca

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Hi Luca

Not a problem, and good to know you are with ICE. I suppose then you would know Alfio with his white 2L Berlina. There are a few other Berlinas down here in Hobart including a dark green 1750, a white 1750 and as well an auto Le Mans blue 2L. Apart from that, I am not sure I know of any other Berlinas left on the road anymore.

I do recall in talking with Alfio that he mentioned another Berlina up in the North, and I assume that perhaps must be the one you share with your dad. Great to know it will be back on the road again.

Ha ha, ah yes my brother..he is a bit of a legend what with his car collection !!

Yes I still have my white S1 1750 GTV and a red 124 sport (AC), both are tucked up in a lockup garage under covers these days.

Giulias also are pretty rare on the road these days, my brother in law has a beige coloured one which gets used sparingly, a mate has a bright yellow Targa Tas prepared one, and aside my brother having two, I have another mate who has 3 and I know of one other languishing in a shed down the Huon (I used to own many years ago). Most have disappeared, like Berlinas.

My friends dark blue Berlina yes that does have the tan/buff interior. It probably is the best one I know of here in Tassie currently.

If you would like a spare 1750 bonnet, I have one and have no use for it, so you would be most welcome to have that for free.

Look forward to seeing your Berlina sometime. Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Good luck with the resto.

I'm midway through a 1750 resto myself. It's on-hold at the moment, but I can't wait to get it on the road, they're great cars.

I've got bucket loads of Berlina parts, so if you need anything I might be able to help.

Cheers, Damien

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Andrew
The Berlina is already registered on your site, also great job with the newsletter!

Thankyou Dovali for that picture. Is it your car?

Hi Dave
Yes your brother does have a very impressive collection! it must be hard for him to remember what cars he has! and our Berlina would be the one that Alfio was talking about as it is the only other Berlina apart from his that I know of in the North.
Its good to see that there is still a few sedans about being looked after although its a shame about the Giulia in the Huon, is it going to be restored? or is it simply just rusting away?
That would be great if you could put the bonnet aside for us, we will probably be down in a few weeks time so I will PM you closer to when we can come down to organise it. It might also be a chance to have a look at what you have done to the Super, any progress since your last post in its build thread?

Thanks Luca

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Damien
it seems like we both have similar ideas for our Berlina' s except your restoration is a lot more in depth than I believe mine will be!
thanks for your offer on the spare parts, I will keep that in mind.
Goodluck with the rest of your restoration
Thanks Luca

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Hi Andrew
The Berlina is already registered on your site, also great job with the newsletter!

Thankyou Dovali for that picture. Is it your car?

Hi Dave
Yes your brother does have a very impressive collection! it must be hard for him to remember what cars he has! and our Berlina would be the one that Alfio was talking about as it is the only other Berlina apart from his that I know of in the North.
Its good to see that there is still a few sedans about being looked after although its a shame about the Giulia in the Huon, is it going to be restored? or is it simply just rusting away?
That would be great if you could put the bonnet aside for us, we will probably be down in a few weeks time so I will PM you closer to when we can come down to organise it. It might also be a chance to have a look at what you have done to the Super, any progress since your last post in its build thread?

Thanks Luca
Ah yes, I do know what you mean re my brother and his collection. It is a little out of hand. I had thought that your car must have been the one Alfio had mentioned.

That is for sure re at least there being a few sedans still being around, but it would be nice if a few more might get restored and see some use again.

My poor old Super belongs to a friend who lives in Melbourne, as I far as I know it sits in an old apple shed somewhere, but I suspect it is most likely not to undergo restoration, and/or at least anytime soon. Mind you my brother has both a Ti 1600 and Ti 1300 and while the Ti 1300 could see the road again, given all his projects I can't really seeing this time happening anytime soon.

The same for the 3 that belong to another mate of ours, (at least one of his cars is mostly sorted).

Sadly no, no progress in recent times on my Super. Basically no time, no money and nowhere to work on it currently. Our country house project etc is taking all my time and any spare money. But one day things will turn around. I still need to finish off my 124 sport's restoration (finish putting it back together plus some relatively minor mechanicals etc).

Not a problem, will keep the bonnet for you and you are most welcome to collect. I have it under the veranda at my home in NewTown. Just PM me when you know your plans.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Dave

from what ive read the Ti 1300 is the single headlight version?, if so i hope this does get restored one day as it is the best looking version in my eyes.

I know what you mean about the nowhere to work on it situation, at the moment our shed is full of other "toys" and unfortunately the alfa lives outside at the moment. but we will be putting up a shed soon that will be purely to work on the alfa and other more in-depth projects.

thanks luca

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Hi Dave

from what ive read the Ti 1300 is the single headlight version?, if so i hope this does get restored one day as it is the best looking version in my eyes.

I know what you mean about the nowhere to work on it situation, at the moment our shed is full of other "toys" and unfortunately the alfa lives outside at the moment. but we will be putting up a shed soon that will be purely to work on the alfa and other more in-depth projects.

thanks luca
Hi Luca

Yes that is correct re the 1300 Ti. However, my brother changed over the grill and headlights to that of an early Super (four headlights) and from memory changed the engine from 1300 to either a 1600 or possibly 1750 ?? The 1300s also have a really nice looking instrument panel.

He previously had tidied it up, painted it red (was white originally) and used it until the engine died, it then suffered some minor panel damage plus a little rust came back. It is stored undercover in a shed/garage at his place, so protected from the elements, unlike the '65 Giulia Ti which sits in the open under trees. That one needs rescuing !!

All the best with building a shed. I too need to do this.

David

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.