Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have questions regarding the following 1931 Alfa 6C regarding the serial number. The number is 8713861. The car is a longer wheel base then a sport would be but in looking at the 1750 Grand Turismo compressor it appears maybe that is what we have however i do not have any books to verify the serial so hoping someone might be able to help.

Larry Alderson

·
Registered
9,416 Posts
Larry, first of all: Welcome to AlfaBB.

The chassis number you mentioned is interesting because it does not appear in Fusi's list of production numbers, as shown in this thread. The absence of the number being listed does not necessarily mean that the number did not exist -- Alfa Romeo had serious financial troubles in 1930-31 (so did many other companies during the height of the great depression), which is when the car likely would have been produced. Have you checked with Marco Fazio at [email protected] if they have any records of this car?

BTW, can you please post some pictures of the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your help and advise, i have sent and email to him to see if they might be able to help. i will post some photos of the car .

Best
Larry

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
6C8713861

I did not see this thread until now.

Chassis 6C8713861 falls among a large number of cars that are only partially described, but which date mostly from 1932 or later. Without having details from the remainder of the car, I cannot pretend to describe what the car is or might have been.

My notes show that it appeared most recently in spider "Zagato" form (a la Gran Sport) but this is not necessarily its original configuration. In fact, "spider Zagato" seems a bit unlikely unless the chassis number reported is not the original identity. It is not impossible, however. If the body is truly Zagato, there should be a Zagato number to be found, most reliably inside the doors.

There are all kinds of unusual stories that might accompany any car through more than 80 years of life, including a World War. I would like to help explain why the car is as it is. I will need more information from you to do so.

A form is attached that may assist in gathering and sharing some information that should be found on the car's major components.

Photos of each number found along with some clue as to its location will be helpful.

Best of luck!

John

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts