Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am 17 and i just bought my first sports car and it happens to be an 1986 Alfa Spider Graduate. It was $2,200 it has 60,347 original miles on it and no rust
My stepfather has owned at least 6 spiders over the years, so as mechanics I'm fine.
The thing I do need help with though is my wheels. My stepfather said he had never seen them before. After some research I found out they were Melber Majors distributed by Shankle.
I would appreciate anymore information on these wheels and perhaps their value as well.

Much thanks

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
From the looks of things you got yourself a bargain. It is a beatuiful car and those wheels are the first non stock wheels on an S3 Spider that I really like. Most of the other add on wheels are not even as good looking as the stock alloy wheels that originally came on the Veloce and Quad. The stock wheels that came on a Graduate were stamped steel with a hub cap, so I can see why the PO opted for those.

My advice is to keep the wheels and the car and count yourself lucky. But if you ever want to get rid of them give me a shout.

If the car drives out OK then sit back and enjoy the ride. If you read this BB for a while, you will learn a lot even without your Step pa's guidance. If you have problems, ask the membership of the BB for help/advice. They are generally extremely knowledgeable and friendly, and quite ready to help someone out.

The car looks so good in fact that I have a suspicion that you are simply pulling our legs. But if your inquiry is genuine, then the only suggestion I can make is this. If you live in a state which does not have or require a front license plate, drill off those 2 L/P mouts on the front bumber. They only take away form the looks of the car. Fortunately I live in a single plate state, so the front L/P mounts were the first thing to hit the trashbin.

Welcome aboard, Robert
1988 Black Spider Veloce

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Well, you stole that Alfa. It is a lot better looking inside and out than my 1988 and I paid $3,000 and went 1,000 miles to get it. And I thought I had picked up a pretty good bargain. Now I feel like I caught the lead ring on the merry go round. But in every race, someone had to be first, someone last, and everybody else is in the middle somewhere.

Again, Count yourself a real good horse trader, or count yourself lucky.

Robert
1988 Black Spider Veloce

·
Registered
what part?
9,981 Posts
that why my 'crush' drinks are so pricey..i see that you have cornered the market on it.:) nice car.. but it sits a wee bit high in the rear???

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Congrad's on Your Purchase!

Looks like you got a great car at an exceptional price. Welcome to the BB. You will find a wealth of information here, so don't worry about asking "stupid" questions.

It's great to see the (very) younger crowd interested in Alfa's. Most of us are older, remembering the days when we could buy one new (if we had the $$$).

In the WI area, we also have a younger person with a Spider Veloce, and I think it's great to see him at events!

Enjoy your car and look forward to hearing from you again.

·
Registered
what part?
9,981 Posts
some once said...' if you can't pick up girls in that car..... you must be a priest'..:):):)

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts
Please Don't drive it in the salt. If there is!! Nice ride Welcome. I was 22 when I became an Alfaholic!!

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
You made out like a bandit!

·
Registered
what part?
9,981 Posts
it's....red... must one of those "FAST" spider...:):)::)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Congrats on your first car. You couldn't have picked a better first car in my view (but I'm biased).

Keep in mind that these cars do require a little bit of attention, but nothing excessive. You take care of her, and she'll take care of you on the road with one of the most fun rides.

Congrats again.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,924 Posts
Sure looks like you got a steal.

Definitely looks like it's riding high. Gas shocks, perhaps?

·
Registered
527 Posts
My '69 GTV has what looks like 14x7 of the same wheels. I was lead to believe that they are quite rare and might actually be worth more than what you paid for the rest of the car - not sure how true it is - but that's what I was told (at least in the 14x7 size).

Good luck with the car - my first sports car was an '88 Spider and it was fantastic.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
congratulations on your alfa.

looks to be great.

have a blast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone!

we had the car up on the lift the other day and discovered it needs motor and transmission mounts, as well as rear suspension straps.
so im hoping to replace them soon!

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Just so you know, it's not going to be the most powerful car you're likely to ever drive, but the handling (when things are in proper order) is likely better than you'll ever experience again.

Tisn't magic mind you though, so don't get yourself under the imnpression that the rails you feel like its on won't sometime move on you and heave you off into the trees. It's just that they're spiked down a little more consistantly than what most other folks are conditioned to :)

·
Registered
what part?
9,981 Posts
get paul sprell motor mounts.and a tranny mount from a early gearbox.. i think from a 105 type car.it has less voids

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
can anyone instruct me as how to remove this piece right here, as when you pull the levers the housing pops out alot

and is it normal to have to slam the trunk shut or is something wrong

and here is my odometer and engine as well

·
Registered
what part?
9,981 Posts
on the fuel/trunk relase panel.. find all of the little screws( phillips head) un screw them ,and the crome top hat on topp, the panel will come out, but be carefull..it's old plastic, could be very brittle.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts