Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The Rota wheels with the Cromodora style is what started my consideration of the 17" wheels. However, after seeing the spider with 17" wheels, I do not believe it is the look I want. I think I will stick with 15" if I can find a suitable wheel. I have a few sets of 14" wheels I could use, but I like the 15" look better.

For my GTV6, I will probably go 17" though.

Thanks for the input.

Scott

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,859 Posts
Probably a good call.

For the GTV6 I would highly recommend some of Team Dynamics wheels in 16". They are very strong, quite light, and look really good.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The Rota wheels with the Cromodora style is what started my consideration of the 17" wheels. However, after seeing the spider with 17" wheels, I do not believe it is the look I want. I think I will stick with 15" if I can find a suitable wheel. I have a few sets of 14" wheels I could use, but I like the 15" look better.

For my GTV6, I will probably go 17" though.

Thanks for the input.

Scott
One distinct advantage of the 15s is tire selection. They don't really make proper performance tires in diameters under 15 (except full blown race tires).

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Scott, obviously, looks are subjective, but Rota makes an affordable wheel (Panasport knock-off) in the 15-inch size (shown here with 205/55-15 tires):

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sloppy 89, I like the wheel and rim combination. Looks great! Did you start with 14" and move to 15"? If so, did you experience any difference in ride quality? Harshness? Handling improve? Were spacers or any modifications necessary with this set up?

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Sloppy 89, I like the wheel and rim combination. Looks great! Did you start with 14" and move to 15"? If so, did you experience any difference in ride quality? Harshness? Handling improve? Were spacers or any modifications necessary with this set up?
"Sloppy 89"? What did I ever do to make you treat me so disrespectively? -- Just kidding.

When I bought my car, it had the factory 14-inch five-point star-type wheels, fitted with 195/60-R14 tires. The Rotas installed directly, without spacers, although different lug nuts are needed (which I bought with the wheels). The Alfa centercaps are stickers I bought on eBay.

Low speed turning was made slightly more difficult, but overall the handling was improved (I installed Dunlop Direzza tires and like them).

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm not going to pass judgement on the look, that's up to you. The wheels themselves do look nice, wether they look nice on a Spider is personal.
On the plus side you do have the option of far sportier tires with a 17" wheel BUT on the negative side unless the wheels are very light, (read very expensive forged) and your tires are also reasonably light you are adding unsprung weight. Meaning yes, your ride will degrade, your steering effort and feel, (one of the beauties of driving an Alfa is the sublime steering)will really degrade a lot, your suspension had better be in top notch shape, and your braking will suffer. The sportier tires braking performance will be offset by the shorter wider contact patch and the rotational mass. Also aligning your car may bed weird, you may end up tramilining a lot, (following every crown and crack in the road).
Also you will "lose horsepower" pushing big wheels around is not easy.
In short, even though on newer cars doing this may be a win, in older cars you may make the best part of driving an alfa, a sports car and take the fun out of it.
You can try it, but save your old wheels just in case.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sloboy89, my apologies on the typing. I wish I could blame that on spellcheck. I simply suck at typing. Maseratiguy explained my concerns exactly. I have 14"steelies with plastic caps. I really like the 15" aluminum wheels that came on the veloce and I love those Rotas. Better tires and sharper rims could be an expensive upgrade if you don't like what you get. I love the nimble handling I get from my 14"ers. This site is great. The knowledge and experience thats shared here is indispensable! Even if you gotta put up with s***ty typers!! I understand there is a big difference between the 17's discussed and the 15"s I speak of.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I think I have found the wheel I want. I like the Rota RB (Panasport look) wheel, but want something a little different but still period appropriate. Rota has the R20 in 15" with correct PCD. Although not an Alfa style wheel, BMW had something similar. I may powder coat them gun metal grey and make some custom Alfa center caps.

Scott

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
I think I have found the wheel I want. I like the Rota RB (Panasport look) wheel, but want something a little different but still period appropriate. Rota has the R20 in 15" with correct PCD. Although not an Alfa style wheel, BMW had something similar. I may powder coat them gun metal grey and make some custom Alfa center caps.

Scott
Those are very cool. Post some pics if you get them done.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
The pics of the S2 with 17's are not MY thing but they are not as horrible as I would have thought. I live in Socal and as such I see monstrosities on a daily basis. If I go with a bigger wheel on my S4 it will be the Panasport Rotas.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The Rota R20's I just posted only come in 15x6. Looks like the most common upsize is to a 15x7. Does anyone run 15x6 on their Spider and if so, are you happy with the handling?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
470 Posts

Scott
Yup, those are (BMW) Alpina replicas. Very popular with the BMW 2002, E21, and E30 crowd. Are you finding those in stock somewhere? Also did you check to see if they are offered in 4x108? Default for those as I understand it is the BMW 4x100 fitment....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just looked them up online... Looks like they have 4x108 with offset 29mm. Cool.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

21 - 34 of 34 Posts