Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i am debating the size of the wheels it is best to use in my 164 can you share your comments on what is better for ride, comfort, looks, on the 164? 17'' or 18''. Mine currently has 16'' andi would appreciate your comments since you have tried these sizes before.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Camber change is the challenge. Unless you shorten the springs going to larger rims will ruin the handling.

All four wheels use strut suspension which is notorious for developing significant camber change with suspension movement. Because larger rims require wider tires to preserve rolling circumference you get twitchy handling as the wider contact patch loses grip suddenly.

This suspension was designed to use 15 inch wheels. Even 16 inch likely won't improve the handling. 17 in would be really testing the limits of what can be done.

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
Personally, 17" is the max for me on this car. 18-19-20 I have seen but they look as though they are too big. Ride quality will suffer greatly especially in the front. The suspension is not made to take the unsprung weight especially if you buy a cheap 18" wheel, it will weight much more than a stock wheel. You also need to check out tire price differences between the wheels too. I run a 235/40/17, it is wider and lower sidewall than the 225/45/17 that is common for the 17" wheel but handles much better with a slightly more rough feel that I am ok with it. It's nothing bad. 18+ will have littler sidewall causing the front suspension to really ride terrible. Rough rough! Bang bang! Larger wheel will track funny as well. Tramline and tires will probably get eaten up quick, especially if suspension is not in top condition. The larger wheels will also wear on the suspension much quicker as well. Something to think about.

I actually prefer 16" and 17". Thats it.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Even when I was a distributor for wheels (American Racing) and tires I liked 16/17" best. Sure 18" look nice but I like to "Drive" my cars not just "Cruise" them. Plus the cost of replacement rubber just jumps quite a bit when you go up over 17"

·
Premium Member
15,881 Posts
And the fellow who mounts and balances the tires I put on my Alfas loves the 18/19/20, etc, because he can afford his yacht with all the repairs he gets to make on those wheels.

Yes, I drove a 159 Sport Wagon in Oslo which had 18 inch wheels on it, but I thought it looked weird, sort of like it was owned by some one from Tijuana.

I prefer 16 inch for all around driveability and better decent tire availability without going overboard on tire widths for which the 164 wasn't designed.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've been riding on 18s for about a year and I'm going back to the stock 15s for all of these reasons. Harsh ride, bad tramlining due to the wider tires, rubbing at full suspension compression... I just wish there were better tire options for the 15s.

·
Premium Member
15,881 Posts
I'd recommend looking for 16 inch wheels, as there is a better selection of tires out there for that size. I do recommend the Michelin 205/55-16 Pilot Exalto PE2 tire (on sale right now. They work very well on my 164LS, for both highway and curvy road stuff, and they don't hydroplane.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I've been riding on 18s for about a year and I'm going back to the stock 15s for all of these reasons. Harsh ride, bad tramlining due to the wider tires, rubbing at full suspension compression... I just wish there were better tire options for the 15s.
Well, there are actually. It's just tires have moved on so far from when our cars were new.

I am finally fitting all season tires to all my cars for summer use. The latest all season tires are far better than the summer tires our cars came with.

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S are excellent summer tires for this car.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
My take on bit and tids on this thread. I dont really pay attention to my tire wear in the sense of how long they last as I drive the 164 not so much and will change them by time vs. wear I think. I've done alot of work up front, springs, struts and the like. :eek:wer arms, joints you name it. It has yet to go on a rack for an alignment but will so in the next week. I have two reasons for this. I'm getting just a very wee bit of feathering up front and it's either the lower ball joints being on top of the arm vs. the bottom, I dont recall at 620 in the morning, I just know it's opposite of the way the old ones were. Or...I've got some toe misaligned. I run 205 55 16 on 7 inch wide rims and the ride is nice. I do get very near rub at full lock but am only at full lock in a parking situation so i dont sweat it. As a side, I wouldn't go more than 16 for reasons stated. But it's not my car....

I have found the spacer ring to be an annoyance as it affects the wheel balance up front. I've always had a slight shake. Very slight at around 60. I mean almost imperceptible. I was taking the sway bar out last week to put the original in and had a good look so I left the spacers out. Shake gone. IDK if it was the wheel seating up to the hub better and more on the lip for the center bore or what but shake gone. Go figger. I spent 6 hours the last weekend zippin up the autostrada and smooth as a baby's behind. FWIW they are something like 2mm thick, I have not applied the calipers to them yet. Weird stuff this 164 at times. Still sux in the rain tho....ciao, chris

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
From Experience

I had 18s on my 164Q. I think the importance is to find a light weight wheel. The weight makes a world of difference. I also had 16s, which were nice too. Sorry for the poor pictures with the 18s, wish I had a more crisp photo.

Edit: Scatlin above bought the wheels from me. Sorry to confuse you even more...I didn't notice rubbing issues, but I wasn't using it on the track. For daily driving, they were not so harsh. 225/40/18 was the tire size I believe.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,881 Posts
That last picture? Is that Tunnel Road in Vernon? If so, my wife's brother lives just up the road a mile or so away to the south. Know the area well.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
That last picture? Is that Tunnel Road in Vernon? If so, my wife's brother lives just up the road a mile or so away. Know the area well.
Nope, picture was taken in North Amherst, MA. Tunnel Road in Vernon looks very similar though. See pic:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,881 Posts
Ah, yes, you are correct. No concrete blocks at the tunnel in Vernon. Wife looked at the picture, and said she didn't remember those blocks. Never mind. There is a Fiat parts warehouse just down the road 1/2 mile to the north from the Vernon tunnel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts