Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 164S to NY. I knew that a previous owner had installed an aftermarket stereo system, but I had no idea of the horror that awaited me behind the black fuzzy bulkhead in the trunk. I don't know what this guy has done, but there's a bird's nest of wires back there that I'm almost too afraid to touch. BTW, the stereo doesn't work. Here's a few pix. I also have no idea of what all those extra power feed wires go to that are attached to the positive terminal on the battery. My intent is to junk what's in there and reinstall the original radio, which came with the car. I'm not an audiophile and factory radios suit me just fine.

BTW, does anybody know what the gold colored box is in the picture?

Does anybody have a clue as to what that control panel does??

What kind of man would install a sound system like this . . . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Scary.
Not sure what the gold box is, might be part of the evap system?
THere's definitly an alarm in there aswell as the stereo - good luck!

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
BTW, does anybody know what the gold colored box is in the picture?

Does anybody have a clue as to what that control panel does??

What kind of man would install a sound system like this . . . . .
Looks a lot like it says Alfa Romeo on it but can't tell for sure. It is similar to the emission canister behind the front fender on the Milano. otherwise maybe a big honking capacitor for that booming bass?

Control panel looks like it controls power to different alarm sensors, glassbreak, motion. In a car though I would have though one glass breakage detector would have been enough.

A man with more time and money than talent and brains

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,074 Posts
The canister is part of the emissions system. Don't screw with it.

That radio appears to be similar to a 94 164LS radio with the touch screen. I have one of those, didn't like it, took it out of the LS. Mine does say Alfa Romeo rather than Eclipse. The rest of the stuff looks scary. Obviously this is the panel for a bunch of antitheft stuff. Overkill. Did it come with instructions? I'd rip it all out and make things stock to start with.

Antitheft? Just don't leave stuff laying around in the car. And, no one wants to steal that car, they are into Escalades and Hondas, etc. If you are worried, just install a battery cutoff switch somewhere. Unless the thieves use flatbeds as they do in El Paso to go to Juarez.

You probably don't want to install the original model am/fm/tape radio, but you can install to start with a later Chrysler radio that handles cd's as well as the am/fm/tape for not much money. Same wiring, same size. Nobody wants to steal that one but it does work. Works for me. Later you can install a better gee whiz radio if you want something that handles mp3/satellite or whatever input if you like that sort of thing.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure the radio is aftermarket "Eclipse." The installation is obviously non-factory. The guy who put this stuff in was obviously paranoid about theft. Maybe the sound system was super expensive, so that's why he installed the anti-theft system. That system is a Clifford, it would appear. An internet investigation reveals that it probably has sensors all around the car as well as some kind of speaker that says "get away from the car" or something similar. Of course, none of it works anymore. The power feeds from the battery have missing fuses, etc. I'm afraid to do a "smoke test" of that stuff.

For whatever reason, the radio will appear to power on momentarily with a "01:00 display," then go out. The cover door to the display head doesn't move. I'll see what kind of amp it has. At least the original speakers and radio were included in the car, however, no telling how badly the radio wire harness has been butchered. When I get all out, I'll post a picture and see if any of the audiophiles out there want the carcass.

·
Premium Member
2,190 Posts
With that radio behavior, sounds like the switched lead is working but the main power lead may not be. Check the fuse in the main power lead to the radio.

bs

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I would be interested in any amplifiers you may find. The head unit is too old to be worth much unfortunately. It will take a lot less time to remove that stuff than it did to install it, very fortunately. ;)
Charles

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anybody have any idea what this thing is. I'm thinking flux capacitor maybe. It was attached to the positive battery terminal and has an empty clear thingy. I detached all the extra wires from the + term, but then a red light came on above the Sport switch on the instrument panel.

Does anybody have a picture of a stock S battery terminal so I know what's OEM wiring and what's been added by the previous owner? Also a picture of the whole front part of the trunk, so I know what to remove and what not to.

Attachments

·
17,074 Posts
There is a fuse for the electroshocks right behind the pos terminal of the battery in a block of fuses and relays. Should be the fuse atop the middle relay if you have three there, the rear one if you have two relays. That relay beneath the fuse is for the electroshocks. check the wiring to that relay from the battery. I suspect you removed the power wire for the shocks. Put that wire back on.

Better to trace the wiring from all that alarm/radio stuff back to the beginnings rather than remove wires at the other end, ie, battery, etc, first.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. It looks like the only aftermarket hookup was that giant red cable with the gigantic fuse holder. Funny though, the cable is big in diameter but seems almost empty inside. I'm afraid to jumper that fuse (I don't even know what kind of fuse that would take) in case there's a dead short somewhere that caused the original fuse to blow. I wouldn't doubt it considering the stupidity of the wiring job.

I took off one panel and found a huge base speaker mounted where the ski pass-thru goes between the seats. I can't fathom why someone would need speakers that big or powerful. I'm already partly deaf from 30 years of jet engines. I don't need to self-inflict any more damage with a friggin' stereo.

·
17,074 Posts
I really really suggest that you buy the Fiat parts eper disc (works only on Internet Explorer) and the workshop manual paper version or the disc (works only on PC's?). Otherwise, you can spend too much time screwing around trying to understand what you have bought. The 164 Digest web site also has a ton of information on the 164 and can be invaluable.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. I have the 164 workshop manual in pdf, and have printed it out on paper. Didn't know about the parts book. Where is that available. I didn't see it at the usual suppliers.

I've been on the 164 Digest and have printed out almost a notebook full of technical/reference material.

One thing for sure, the 164 has fuses and relays ALL OVER the entire car.

·
1991 164L
27,781 Posts
Fiat ePer usually found on UK eBay. I also like the older parts catalog on CD.

·
17,074 Posts
Yes, just type in "fiat eper" into regular eBay to get results. About $13 on up. Mine has worked well, but note that it runs on Internet Explorer only, at least that what mine does.

The disc is neat in that it shows assemblies and newer effectivities, although the prices are usually in pounds (relatively meaningless for us in the US, although does give us a clue as to relative value).

I think the assembly pix are invaluable.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, Steve & Del. I'm having some pretty tough sledding trying to clean up the mess in the trunk. That Clifford Alarm System has an unbelievable amount of sensors and wiring, antennae, etc.

As for the particleboard rack taking up a third of the trunk, I've got all the screws I can see out, but still stuck. Guess I'm going to have to chip it out a piece at a time. I can't even imagine how much that cost to install, and when I buy the car it's a dead POS with cut wires, no power feed, etc.

Message to the original owner that installed it . . . I hate you.

Attachments

·
17,074 Posts
Geez, what a mess. It will be a distinct pleasure to have all that crap removed, and everything back to as it should be. And to think, he probably spent a bundle on all that.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts