Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations, I need to replace my 164S shocks/struts what can I use and where can I find them.

Thank you

Pino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
27,154 Posts
Looking for recommendations, I need to replace my 164S shocks/struts what can I use and where can I find them.

Thank you

Pino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason Minos sez he has replacements you can use. I think they are the same ones I got from Italy couple years ago as I gave him the contact info to import them. Check with him. They are NOT electric S struts but same STYLE as used on 164L and 164LS.

He shows fronts here: STRUT- 164 B/L/LS- FRONT
He does not show N0N-S rear struts yet on his website.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
To be clear Pino, Jason is offering alternatives to the S-strut, that is, non-CDS struts for the L and B that will fit on the S, but you will loose the functionality of the special soft-rigid S suspension; to maintain the S design you either have to pay $$$ (almost $$$$) for some nos electronic struts, or rebuild your current struts. There are now 2 approaches to replacing the problematic top seal of the CDS strut, 1) usie two Bilstein seals in a specially fabricated carrier, or, 2) get aftermarket seals that replicate the original Boge double seal from a company in Romania. See the CDS Boge rebuild thread if you want more information.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi all,

I heard that the left and right electric rear struts could be used at both sides eventually ? Is that correct ?
Rgds,
Thierry

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
That's true, they will fit left to right, right to left, the position of the solenoid and wiring will not be ideal, but that can be dealt with. Back to Pino: the other "ducks you need to get in line" for this project are bump stops and dust boots, different for front and back, not to mention some specialized tools like a spring compressor for the fronts.

·
Premium Member
27,154 Posts
That's true, they will fit left to right, right to left, the position of the solenoid and wiring will not be ideal, but that can be dealt with. Back to Pino: the other "ducks you need to get in line" for this project are bump stops and dust boots, different for front and back, not to mention some specialized tools like a spring compressor for the fronts.
Don't forget new lower front strut yellow (usually yellow) bearings. And do not mix up left and right front strut lower spring perches and upper metal retainers upper bearing fit into.

Least we not front possible loss of "bone density" to lower coils of the coil springs due to corrosion trapped inside the sleeves slipped over lower coils. Springs may need to be replaced, too.

Search for front strut maintenance posts on this forum for show and tell of all the parts, tools and how to DIY show and tell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts