Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today for the first time that a small red light was illuminated between the Auto and Sport green lights. Can anyone identify the function of this light?

Harv

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
If this requires replacing the OEM electronic shocks, then take a seat before you hear how much each shock costs... The suspension setting control is (or was) a unique Alfa sedan feature. It is very cool, and it would be wonderful to preserve it, but this requires a serious $$ commitment.

Best regards,

·
Registered
449 Posts
Test procedure please

Grrrrrrrrrr. I didn't notice the red dot until I read this thread!!!!!
Does this syndrome travel like mad cow disease or ebola??

Is there a test procedure I can be pointed at to find out if it's the ECU or the shocks?

·
Registered
160 Posts
The solenoids themself seldomly fail.Most of the times it's a broken wire in the front struts.

Start measuring the solenoid from under the hood.Resistance should be low.Once you find a high/infinity, start to wiggle the wires to find the location of your open circuit.Than replace the wiring.(mind the + and - to the solenoid!)

·
Registered
2,218 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
If the red light just flashes when the car is started, that means that the shock system check has been conducted and is ok. If it stays on, yes, it is time to trouble shoot the system connections, or buy Konis, or install a used B, L, or LS shock set...or, just leave the system on the default (system faulty and broken) sport setting. Some like that just fine. The system in my 91S works just fine, but I rarely take it off the sport setting, as I find the soft setting just not restrained enough, too floppy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
well.... I have already replaced all 4 structs....but the little light still goes on when I stuck in traffic for too long... but when I re-start the car, it just goes off like nothing has happened... weird....

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Yes, weird, but, considering the complexity of the system (there is altogether more than 30 feet of strut wire in the car!), pretty much to be expected, and a typical symptom. My 1992 S, which had a similar problem, came with some old receipts, and on one of them, there was written: "repair RR strut". It was such an intermittent problem that the shop really didn't repair the thing all all, so ten years later (after driving the former PO and me crazy) the RR strut had to be revisited. The culprit (and the usual culprit) were the wires: they got stretched with the car constantly bopping up and down, compromising their conductive capacity. Just unplug the end that enters into the trunk (a really easy task), unclip all the "ties", and hook an ohm meter to the wires while waving them around. Mine had readings all over the board (it should be a constant, around 3.2 ohms). Replacing it with a donor piece of wire was very insightful too: the replacement wire—also from a 164S—was considerably thicker in gauge than my original, making me conclude that Boge used different wire standards in their production of the strut. If your problem gets worse, take the car to a dealer that has a FLT (Fiat-Lancia Tester), it's the only way to pinpoint where your problem is. By turning the car off and restarting it you are simply having the suspension ecu "reboot" (going through its built-in diagnostics)—eventually this trick will not clear the problem.

well.... I have already replaced all 4 structs....but the little light still goes on when I stuck in traffic for too long... but when I re-start the car, it just goes off like nothing has happened... weird....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts