352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$5200 Nice price is winning!

Looks like a really nice one

·
Premium Member
9,723 Posts
This was my car.

So it has a new paint job but that was 8 years ago. I sold it twice actually. Original owner, gave it to me for $2500. He spent 12K on rebuilding engine and more. Was near perfect car. I swapped the 93 engine into my Alfa 164 since it only had 50K miles on and 7K of them were on completely new parts inside. The engine in the car shown is my 1991 engine. But I slightly rebuilt that one too. Looks like it's still going strong. :)

I sold it to a Dr. in the south but before I did, I did the entire suspension, wheels and paint. Then the Dr got bored with it and offered it back to me. I bought it back for $1500 and then sold it again to a guy in WA state for $8,000. He was clueless about this car, clueless about cars in general. He was a professor. I think he sold it not too long after. I am not sure how many owners it may have had after the professor. lol. I have pictures of this thing somewhere... Oh if you look in my picture gallery here it will be there.

·
Premium Member
9,723 Posts
No idea. This car was Pristine when I sold it. $8k paint job...But at 140K miles. Not sure it's worth that much either. Sill a nice one.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
This looks like a very nice, clean car. I don't care much for the wheels, gear shift lever/knob or steering wheel (although I have a wood one just like it around here somewhere). Too bad about the engine swap as well...now that I know. Having owned a nearly identical 164-S from new, I think the price is still a bargain -if you plan to keep and drive the car. The price is just the cost of admission as there will be 'ride charges' along the way. Things like water pumps and timing belts must be changed; steering racks can leak or go out along with a multitude of other little things. New, these 'exotics' were about $28,000 but drive like a much more expensive vehicle. I can't remember seeing another 164-S on the road in probably the last 20 years or more so you will likely be the only one out there with an Alfa Romeo 164-S.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love the Steering Wheel if it wasn't wood. It would be great leather wrapped. Haven't been able to find one though.

·
Super Moderator
10,099 Posts
I think the price is still a bargain -if you plan to keep and drive the car.
I don't disagree. If his were a 6-cylinder BMW from the same era, the asking price would be 2x $5,200. But there just isn't much demand for 164's right now.

The price is just the cost of admission as there will be 'ride charges' along the way. Things like water pumps and timing belts must be changed; steering racks can leak or go out along with a multitude of other little things.
I don't disagree with that either. Whether you pay $5,200 or $520 for this car, if you drive it regularly, your cost of ownership will be about the same at the end of 5 years. But my point was that if you want a 164S in comparable condition, a little shopping might produce another example for less.

But hey, if you live near Seattle and have the hots for a red, 12 valve, S, then you could do worse than buying this one, even at $5,200.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That car has been on Craigslist off and on for the past year or more (price started out at $8.9k iirc). Looks great. Sad that there doesn’t seem to be much of a market for these right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts