Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just hit a large bump in the road and cracked the oil sump. on my 91 164S. Oil leaked out . Is it a big job replacing it. I took a qick look and looks like i have to remove one of the exhaust pipes and maybe the rearmotor mount and one front wheel drive shaft coupling that is blocking one of cover bolts in the corner. has anyone done this job before ??:eek:

·
Premium Member
27,295 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx Steve

I see in the picture your son removed one exhaust pipe in the way- I can handle that. I found out there are three different pans made for this model so after i remove it i will start looking for a used pan and new gasket Any idea:) where i could get one ? Difatta Bros. ?

LorenzQ

·
Premium Member
27,295 Posts
Thx Steve

I see in the picture your son removed one exhaust pipe in the way- I can handle that. I found out there are three different pans made for this model so after i remove it i will start looking for a used pan and new gasket Any idea:) where i could get one ? Difatta Bros. ?

LorenzQ
Lets start with your car's 17-digit VIN, and motor number of engine in your car (located under dizzy on engine block) so you/we can determine which oil pan you have on engine.

You may want to get your pan welded if damage not to servere.

You have to be careful with exhaust pipe so you don't crack a bellows inside flex joint. You have to loosen motor mounts, air cleaner and remove rear IM axle and be able to lift engine some and then reach inside pan to unhook oil pick up tube from pump and main bearing cap, too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve

You scared me on this one - I'm not that ambitious anymore to get under the car to do all the things in tight quarters, that are required for this fix-- i'm a senior ( no, chuck that) Seasoned Ciiizen. Anyway I did some research and what i plan on doing is try to fix it in place.

I will thoroughly clean and roughen the surface of the 4" hairline crack, get some Penetrating grade threadlocker (29050 I think) and rub it into the crack. After it cures i will use alcohol to clean the entire area and then use Devcon aluminum epoxy (10601) liberally around the whiole area. This should do the trick. I will monitor it to make sure it stays sealed. I'll keep you posted.

Thx for your help

Lorenzo ;)

·
Premium Member
27,295 Posts
OK sounds like a plan. I know the feeling of being a seasoned senior myself.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ciao Alfisto Steve

I has been a few months since i epoxied my cracked oil sump. All was well until a couple days ago, then it starting leaking again. Looks like the patch job did not work. well this means i have to get under the car and replace the oil pan. Yucck !

You had asked for my engine number to determine which pan i would need.

Under the dizzy stamped on the block: AR64301+003207+

The Vin# under the winshield: ZAREA33E8H6218370

thx for you help !

LorenzQ

·
Premium Member
27,295 Posts
Ciao Alfisto Steve

I has been a few months since i epoxied my cracked oil sump. All was well until a couple days ago, then it starting leaking again. Looks like the patch job did not work. well this means i have to get under the car and replace the oil pan. Yucck !

You had asked for my engine number to determine which pan i would need.

Under the dizzy stamped on the block: AR64301+003207+

The Vin# under the winshield: ZAREA33E8H6218370

thx for you help !

LorenzQ
Welcome to the club I just picked up a 164S from my NJ friend with leaking expoxied cracked oil pan.

We both need same 96410204 pan with 60513135 gasket. ARI Orlando has gasket $33.06

I just had a spare cracked pan welded for this job but haven't gotten my cracked pan off yet.

I have upper engine dog bone mount out, top of air cleaner off, exhaust pipes off, right suspension and axle off. tranny and engine oils drained, intermediate axle out and front crank pulley off and almost all the pan bolts out except the hidden ones behind rear engine mount bracket. Once hidden bolts out I still have to remove nuts from lower engine mounts to be able to jack engine high enough to get pan off.

It is a ***** of a job which is why I told you and my friend who owned this car to epoxy crack. His epoxy repair lasted a few years.

See this link with some pix and text on process of changing 164 oil pan:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/141647-alfa-164-alfisto-steves-maintenance-tips-3.html#post1020287

See my sticky on oil pan info for 164 12v V6 engines here: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1020332-post94.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1020338-post95.html

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
164S oil sump Replacement

Thx much Steve !

Good Luck with your Black Beauty 164 S ! Looks Great in Black.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts