Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Simply just using the Bosch sender is a viable alternative to the junk senders we get everywhere else?

I just wanna reduce the angst......

·
Premium Member
16,072 Posts
Yes, just use the Sunpro/Bosch unit. Correct the readings to be closer to actual by using "roadtrip's" correction curve with a resistor of your choice in line. I used a 22 ohm resister to get close the reading for cruise rpm of about 3000 rpm, this for a 164.

"roadtrip's" work was very good. He always had some interesting and useful analyses and techniques. Wish he still contributed to the BB. Sorry he left.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I just ordered it. If I feel like it needs fine tuning after installation and testing, I can always pursue that later.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Adding a resistor will make it read correct at one point and be close over a range. That may be all that you need. My circuit extends the range over which it is pretty close.

·
Premium Member
16,072 Posts
Looks lke an interesting mod. My own feeling is that the pressure reading is of interest at two points, hot idle and hot cruise, ie, ~800 rpm, and ~3000 rpm, and if the reading is decent at hot idle, ie, >~5-10 psi maybe, even if it is not accurate, it's basically going to be better at hot cruise rpm, even if not close.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I ordered it.....I have to go look at my resistor collection. I did some monkeying around with throttle position sensors and MAP sensors on Jeeps years ago. Major fail BTW.....

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
It's in. I did it on a hot engine. 25 PSI idle and about 70 PSI when revved.
I have to take a short trip later this evening. I'll let ya know after that.
FWIW, I did test the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge a year or so ago, and got 76 PSI when revved.....

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Oil pressure in an alfa — measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk, and cut it with an axe...

81 - 88 of 88 Posts