Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 164s that has lost many of its electrical functions all at once. The car starts and runs but has no headlights, turn signals, window controls, wipers, heat/ac motor, dash lights and I don't even know what else. The flashers works, the door locks, interior dome light and maybe others. This has to be a supply issue of some sort. Maybe a main fuse, relay, ignition switch? Any thoughts of where to start looking?

Best regards,

Bill Argyle

·
Premium Member
26,742 Posts
I have a 92 164s that has lost many of its electrical functions all at once. The car starts and runs but has no headlights, turn signals, window controls, wipers, heat/ac motor, dash lights and I don't even know what else. The flashers works, the door locks, interior dome light and maybe others. This has to be a supply issue of some sort. Maybe a main fuse, relay, ignition switch? Any thoughts of where to start looking?

Best regards,

Bill Argyle
First thing to suspect is pink wire contacts in ignition switch. Troubleshoot by opening fuse panel door under steering whel and locating ignition switch 4-wire connector located to right of steering column.

Locate red power, purple, brown, green/black, and purple wires.

Red 12v power
purple to starter circuit
brown to fuel pump and motronic relays
Green/black to coil wire.
PINK to operate most of the circuits you say aren't working

Since the first three are working that leaves pink as likely culprit.

Make a jumper between red and pink and see if dead systems come back alive.

If switch is bad you can install a toggle switch and wiring between red and pink so you can turn off pink circuits bypassing key function for that pink wire only.

See this link showing jumpers for all functions of ignition switch: https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/7771410-post338.html

See this link for ignition switch wires and making a complete jumper set up for all ignition switch functions: https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/7769874-post334.html

Report your findings.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I had the same problem with mine years back. One problem was the deteriorating tumbler (fingers?) in the ignition switch and I would have intermittent loss of contact and the other problem was intermittent loss of contact in the back of the switch itself (carbon on the contact points). Took out the switch... tedious but possible (look up some threads) and removed rear portion to clean up the contacts but that was a temporary fix. Took the switch to a lock fixer but he did not have the correct fingers and the body was worn as well, which would cause the fingers to slip out and jam up the key. Replaced the entire unit BUT Steve's hot wiring tip worked perfectly well. If this goes again, I will leave in the lock for steering lock only and put in a push start.
Try the hot wire first and if that fixes the loss of lights, you can go from there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The red to pink is the answer. The jumper wire brings everything back to life. What is the best way to make this the everyday set-up? Do I bring 12v from the same plug or somewhere else? Then I guess a toggle switch so power can be disabled when ignition and key are off. Thank you for the expert response so quickly.

Bill

·
Premium Member
26,742 Posts
The red to pink is the answer. The jumper wire brings everything back to life. What is the best way to make this the everyday set-up? Do I bring 12v from the same plug or somewhere else? Then I guess a toggle switch so power can be disabled when ignition and key are off. Thank you for the expert response so quickly.

Bill
Since the contacts in ignition switch to blue wire that goes to pink wire are bad, I would disconnect connector. The using a small thin electricians flat screwdriver go into blue wire connector and bend locking tab to remove blue wire terminal end.

I would make up a new "blue" 2.4mm (12 AWG) wire with a long male blade terminal end (like one on blue wire end) on it. Or you could slice back black wiring covering enough to cut blue wire as long as possible and splice on/solder on a long enough 12 gauge wire to attach to a toggle switch and then run another 12 gauge wire to the red 12v red wire preferably on the switch side of the connector since switch is bad. You would have to probably cut red wire and splice in a wire or cut back insulation enough and solder in a 12 g wire if possible to power the toggle switch. You can mount toggle switch in right side lower steering column cover in pre-existing hole next to lower retaining screw.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm having the same problem w/ my 91S, except that the head lights work. I've tried them jumper wire, and it doesn't change anything, any other suggestions?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I don't know if it's related, but turning on the headlights doesn't turn on the tail lights. Also pushing the parking light switch illuminates the dash lights, and f&r parking lights when the engine is running, I thought that switch only work with the car not running? It seems like the only things working are mirrors, courtesy lights, seat adjustments, radio, and it sounds like the heater fan is running, but won't change speeds, even though the buttons, 1-4 light up when pushed.

·
Premium Member
26,742 Posts
MrWierd is this a new used car of yours that came to you with these problems?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have owned it for about 4 years, when I bought it, the speedometer was intermittently working, over the next couple of years it developed more problems, but if I remember correctly, not all at the same time. For the last 6 or 8 months it has exhibited all of the noted failures at the same time. This car is only used as a second vehicle, and sometimes not used for a month or more. I had posted about this problem some time back, thought it was fixed, but didn't realize that it didn't stay fixed as it is used so seldom. I'm sure my inattention, and it's lack of use has contributed to it's problems, as these cars like to be driven!

·
Premium Member
26,742 Posts
What systems beside tail lights don't work? humor me again with list.

Step 1 check the three 7.5A F1, F2 and F11 position lamps fuses. Top row position 5 fuse panel and rows 3/4 positions 5 counting from left to right.
Step 2 remove N41 parking lamps tall grey relay next to ignition switch area.
Locate pin socket 5 (yellow wire) in N41 socket. The wire comes from H/L switch. With key on and H/L switch on check for 12v using meter or test lamp.
Does yellow wire socket have power? fuses OK?

·
Registered
228 Posts
As far as I can tell the non working are wipers, turn signals, sunroof, no indicator light for suspension. No instrument panel or rear light, without depressing park button. Heater fan is making noise, but doesn't seem to change speed, even though indicator lights for speed, light up when pushed. Radiator cooling fan doesn't work,( haven't check fan motor, so may not be related). It's starting to snow here in Denver, so I won't be able to test until Fri. or Sat. as garage is full of disassembled projects. As always Steve, your insight is greatly appreciated, I've said before how difficult owning these cars would be without the wisdom of this group!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Braved the cold,(24 deg.) this afternoon, rechecked all fuses, all good, sprayed sockets w/ deoxit, reseated all fuses. Pulled N41 relay, found 12.5 volts at yellow. replaced relay w/ known good relay, no change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts