Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sadly, I had the only 164 at the AROC convention that ran the Time Trials and Autocross. There were several other 164's in attendance - thee or four Q's, several LS's and one or two L's. Here are some pictures of my S running the TT at Weatherford Hill's. I ran a 1:33 with stock suspension and DOT Avon TechR race tires. The S has lots of straight line power. The brakes were Porterfield R4S and ATE Super Blue fluid, but slowing the S down at the end of the straights was a challenge. This car needs much more brakes to slow all of its weight down. I was a little conservative, because I knew the car was my ride on the 1400 mile trip back to Texas. Andy Kress of Performatek co-drove the S urning the TT, so the car saw double duty. Enjoy.

These two pictures were getting ready for the autocross.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Hey, thanks for sharing the photos! That rear wheel looked like it wanted to pop up a couple times :)

What pads are you using? Are the rotors stock?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
High cornering loads push the wheel and tire combination.

I just switched from stock pads to Porterfield R4S carbon Kevlar pads all around, new Brembo rotors, Stainless steel braided brake lines, and ATE super Blue fluid. The brakes are as good as you good, but slowing the car down from high speed lap after lap pushes how much braking the car can do. I was also running on Avon Tech R DOT race tires, so there was as much traction as possible. A LSD unit would have been greatly appreciated. The event was still fun to run with the S.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Enjoyed the photos. Just got my "new" 164Q today, and hope to see you in Chicago next year.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Great pics, Thanks! Are those smaller than stock tires?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wheels are Team Dynamics 15x7 wheels with Avon TechR DOT race tires 225/50ZR15. These wheels/tires were borrow from my GTV6 race car, so yes they are the incorrect size. FYI - in DOT race tires you are not trying to match stock overall diameter, but get the best fit with the wheel, improve your gearing, and if your lucky put down as large a contact patch as possible. In 15' sizes there is not much a selection, but if I was going to track a 164 regularly this would still be the size I would use.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Ah. OK, well they are a nice style. Would look good on my LS in 17" :cool:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These are the Pro Race 1. The best deal of these in a 17' size is from Vick Auto Sports. If I get a few extra dollars, your right a 17' set would look on a 164.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Thanks, I'll check that out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts