Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving around over the weekend when I engaged the clutch and I was rewarded with a farely pronounced vibration.The condition diminishes with a very slow movement of the clutch pedal. An agressive engagement gets the most pronounced shudder. I crawled around looking for a broken engine or tranny mount but did not see anything offensive.With the front wheels off the ground I was able to duplicate the condition in all the gears by aggressively engaging the clutch. After engagement and acceleration the condition goes away. Does anyone recognize my issue. My guess is that its a clutch related issue. For months I have been noticing that when the clutch is engaged slowly I did get a bumpiness kind of like a clutch working through hot spots on the cutch plate and or flywheel.During the latter condition for the past months if I was more aggressive shifting I could eliminate the "chatter".

Harv

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
For the "thud", have you removed and inspected the reaction rod mount on the top of the engine - its large rubber bushing is difficult to see inside the bracket at the back of the engine bay.

For the clutch vibration, which sounds like a separate issue, have you tried spraying some brake cleaner through the hole in the bellhousing while an assistant operates the clutch with the engine running - then slip the clutch a bit with the brakes on but not so much as to cook it (evidenced by the smell)... this worked for me. Hopefully this might clear some oil contamination if that is an issue, otherwise it's a case of replacing the clutch and having the flywheel machined. Do you think the clutch is near the end of its life anyway or was it replaced quite recently?

-Alex

1 - 2 of 2 Posts