Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious about the range of valuation for (running) USA ’94-’95 164Qs vs mileage and condition. What are the values at the bottom, mid, and top levels?

Any ideas, or recommendations where to look for places where this info might be available?

Thanks!

Bob

·
Premium Member
7,074 Posts
number of cars sold is way too small to find anything reasonably up to date. From what I have seen, a Q might command 1K more than a similar condition LS.
All assume a well running car with no major mechanical problems

high miles (175K +) worn interior bad paint--LS - probably can;t give it away ; Q maybe 1500 to 2 grand?

High miles great interior bad paint LS - 1 to 1.5K, Q maybe 2.5-3K

High miles great all around LS 3K Q maybe 4.5K

mid miles (100 K ish) add 750 to 1K for the above

Low miles (50 K ish) add another 2.5 K for LS and maybe 3.5 K for Q ?

Freak examples of 25K mile cars who knows? Cory just got one for a bit north of 10K that is pristine.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
As with anything it's all about condition and how bad you want it and how bad seller wants to sell. I'm always keeping an eye out and my top price for an LS would maybe, maybe be $4000 to $4500 and for a Q another grand to $6500 but that would need to be a 9/10. I know we are Alfisti here but when the money starts getting up over 6 to 7 grand I'm looking at M series Beemers.

·
Registered
268 Posts
What really strikes me is how the value of these continues to drop. Sold my 95 LS in perfect shape with low miles for $7,500 about two years ago. In 2010 I was seriously considering a Q with 49k miles that was a national show winner and was up near Chicago. The guy wanted $15,500 for it. I told him I would fly out to see it if he would agree to $13k. I would have flown up with cash in hand but he would not even discuss price unless I came out there. In the end, I am glad I did not buy it and he probably regrets he did not sell it. Today it is probably worth a lot less.

Like AlfaTango notes, there are simply too many other choices once you cross the $7k Mark. I wound up with a mint, low mile, 2001 Jaguar XJR for less than the Q. I still have a soft spot for the 164 but the Jag has been far better in almost every measurable way, I can easily get parts, and has it been amazingly reliable.

For the nicest Q on the planet, I would probably not pay more than about $8k today.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Here's a 95 540i 6 speed with only 158xxx for $6500 or best offer. Honestly if one could get this car for $5500 to $5800 how is a V6 fwd Alfa even close. BMW 5 Series Sedan | eBay

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Unfortunately, I think the 164s, will continue to drop in value, especially the 24v cars. The 164s in great condition are probably still salable, but those needing paint and mechanical work are probably pretty close to give-aways. Parts availability is going to get worse, not better. Not what we all want to hear, but IMO, that's the way it's going.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Giving some consideration to the few that there were imported, it is a car that doesn't come up for sale often. This was a short run car in terms of numbers world wide. I was going to sell my 94 164Q, you guys just convinced me to not bother.

·
Registered
268 Posts
As I once learned at a workshop conducted by a leading classic car appraiser,

"people often think that rarity should equate to high value. With few exceptions, If a vehicle is rare because it failed to sell when new, it is unlikely to be any more desirable years later."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.