Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little report on my 94 164Q purchased in November.

It was a non-runner that had sat for at least 4 years in eastern Washington.

About a month ago the tank was pulled and cleaned (something bad was in it), new fuel pump, new fuel filter.

I drove it for a while with check engine light on showing error code of fuel mixture problem.

It didn't idle well most of the time ... often surging. But not always.

Otherwise she drove pretty well. But it was time to address the problem, so I bought parts from Alfissimo.

Over the weekend we got newly cleaned up injectors (my neighbor runs a fuel injector biz out of his garage 'Injector Labs' - really helpful - $25 per injector) and fuel pressure regulator back into the car along with Intake Runner Boots and gaskets.

Oh, yeah, a new antenna as well. Original radio works pretty darned well now.

No more engine surging at idle and for the most part the check engine light stays off.

Next up is the BIG SERVICE ... timing belt, water pump, and more. I'm playing with fire a little bit since we don't know when this stuff was done last but I'm driving it anyway.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am curious: What color is it? I sold my 94Q 15 years ago to someone locally in NJ who was taking it west, I thought WA state. Is it red/tan? Do you anything about the history, if so?

I know have my replacement red/tan 95Q which I bought last December!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Red over Black

Red on the outside, black on the inside.

All shades of red actually. Can't wait to paint it.

The car was purchased at Bellevue Alfa Romeo.

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
"Next up is the BIG SERVICE ... timing belt, water pump, and more. I'm playing with fire a little bit since we don't know when this stuff was done last but I'm driving it anyway. "

Ummm, yes, you are really playing with fire there. If that belt goes or skips several teeth, you and the car will be in a world of hurt. Might end up ruining any plans you had for the car. I'd park it until that work is done.

I know you say you have a mechanic, but if he is not knowledgeable about about the 24V engine timing belt change, I'd trust Carlo at Alfa of Tacoma to do it correctly. He does our LS. He can pick up your car in the south end to take it to Tacoma.

·
Premium Member
27,010 Posts
"Next up is the BIG SERVICE ... timing belt, water pump, and more. I'm playing with fire a little bit since we don't know when this stuff was done last but I'm driving it anyway."

You got more guts than I do to be even starting up the engine especially when you stated the car has set for 4 years.

Don't say nobody warned you not to drive it much less even start it before you install a new timing belt, inspect/replace all pulley bearings and water pump.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I agree with the advice given above. Consider that many timing disasters occur on engine start up (mine did). A 24V failure is more than twice as bad as a 12V failure.

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
"Consider that many timing disasters occur on engine start up (mine did)"

The way the 24V engine is set up to start when cold, it starts by immediately revving to 1800-2000 rpm before it drops back down again to ~800. That sudden revving upon cold start up always scares me a little. The 12V engine doesn't rev up like that at all on cold start like the 24V engine does.

I've toyed with the idea of disconnecting the cold start temperature sensor to see how it starts then, and then if it doesn't rev so high, in other words behaving as the 12V engine does when it's sensor isn't working, I would then think about living with the poor idle until it's warm as the usual way to start the 24V car.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
"Next up is the BIG SERVICE ...

I know you say you have a mechanic, but if he is not knowledgeable about about the 24V engine timing belt change, I'd trust Carlo at Alfa of Tacoma to do it correctly. He does our LS. He can pick up your car in the south end to take it to Tacoma.
If Tacoma seems too far, check with Ben @ Group2 in Seattle. That's who I work with on my 24v 164LS. Very knowledgable...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a great Alfa mechanic already. Have taken my Spider to Group2 before but now use my new guy.

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
Who does he work for, or is he independent? Might we know who he is, for the benefit of others who might need help at some point?

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
Ummm, lol, he must be busy enough that he doesn't have to spread his name around for other needy Alfa owners, or has a day job, eh? Do you mind mentioning where he got his training?

We all do try to let everyone know who can work on these cars, for all our benefit...when needed, but whatever.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Del....C'mon. He doesn't want business at the moment. I withhold the info because I was asked to. He has worked at Alfa of Bellevue, Ferrari of Seattle, etc.

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
Hey, sorry, no harm intended, and not trying to be too nosy. Was just curious as to who else was able to do good work in this area, being acquainted with Alfa of Tacoma, Ferrari of Seattle, Group 2, Ralli-Round, plus several independents. In the past, there used to be several who didn't do the proper work sometimes, called them "wall jobs", where they were accused of parking the car along the wall, and not do anything, the people at the old long gone Exotic Motors being one of them.

It's certainly his business if he wants to pick his work to fit his life style, I don't begrudge him for that at all. Glad you found someone who can help you out in your restoration work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts