Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What gives with 164Q windsheild? I took my glass into a local shop and delivered the car today. They said they could do it no problem. My wife gets a call from the shop that they don't want to do the job. So I get the owner on the phone and he said he looked up how to do the job, called around and said the job takes 6 hours. He didn't want to do the job, but referred me to another shop that takes on the hard jobs. They have yet to return my call. Right now I have a cracked windshield, all the parts and no one willing to do the job. Whats up with that? What is scaring off these shops? I would have imagined a 750/101 spider windshield as being more difficult!

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I know its not close to you, but I found a good guy at a shop called Martin's glass in sacramento, his number is (916) 638-4524. I had to get a box from him at one point for a Berlina windshield that I had. We got to talking about 164 windshields and he seemed to be very interested in selling and installing them. Also, from our conversation he seemed like a good guy, will to take time to talk about stuff, and not blow a person off. Give him a try, best of luck,

Jon

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, if I have to take a day off from work to get it done, I will. I can stay at my sister-in-law and visit while they are trying to coerce this glass out of the car. I will give him a call. I guess the concensus is that they will do a glass once and never again from what I have heard. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just curious: Where did the crack originate?

Reason for asking: Years ago had received a very good tip relating to my "for sale" '03 Mini. Told by befriended dealer mechanic that most cars, especially large, upright Mini windshields, have cracks originating in the lower, black area of glass. He recommends to customers to run a strip of Stongard, Invisishield, etc. along the bottom.

I did so, and have had no problems since, though I've heard some nasty dings. Will do this with the Alfa and all future cars. Cheap preventative addition.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish it was that simple. There was a star shaped rock chip in the glass and when it got hot here, the glass got a horizontal crack almost into the drivers viewing area. That is what started all of this. I might wind up taking the glass to a reputable body shop and letting them install it. I am feeling that this install won't be a cheap proposition.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
The 164 seems to have a lot of trim pieces associated with the windshield. If you showed up with all the trim pieces and clips, I think they would be more at easy knowing that they didn't have to worry about messing up any of the pieces when removing the old windshield. Also the 6 hour part, is definitely scaring them. Let's say they install it and it leaks. You are going to complain. Where does that leave them? I don't think I would blame them for wanting to stay away from it. On the other hand, you want your windshield replaced so where does that leave you? I think you are going to have a time finding the right person who will work with you to get this done. If you can show an installer that you understand the situation, the level of difficulty and let them know you have a source for the needed parts, they may be more willing to do it for you. IHMO. After all, this ain't no Chevy and there is a difference.
Charles

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is what I deduced today from talking to a reputable glass shop out of my area. Most people wont' take on the job because it isn't a big money maker like slapping a windsheild into a Ford Chevy or Honda. It is a 4-6 hour job so why waste the time doing one when they can do 2 or 3. Your right about the worry part when it comes to leaks. I did find a glass shop that will do the job in the bay area that comes highly recommended. I will take the car there, but the car is needed for two days to make sure the glass is glued in securely and no leaks. I feel comfortable with them doing the job, but where am I going to find two days from work to have it done? If it ain't one thing...its something else. :)

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
call richard tankel at prosourceglass

ask him who he knows in your area to install the windscreen-- he is pretty helpful and a really nice guy as well

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jong, I will call him before I take the car anywhere and discuss this installation. Sac is alot closer than the bay area. :) I saw Prosource on last night in the list of viewers (if it is the same guy) when I posted my response last night. I am surprised he didn't contact me or post a response.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Windshield Installers

Hi, truth is I only go through this very briefly when I have a moment. We actually have been buying up inventory on American glass all over theUS lately.
At one point or another our family dealt with just about every glass shop out there that did any volume of auto glass in all 50 states and all over Canada. I will only recommend if I know of the people, reputation or at least have not heard anything negative..I can tell you that most glass shops are afraid of the moldings. they know the 2 or 3 molding manufacturers used on a daily basis do not carry any Alfa stuff so some shy away knowing what not to get involved in. Others have enough good installers that they can count on, especially if they have several shops.
I would recommend Stockton Auto Glass which is all over the Bay Area(sorry not up on my geography in CA as well as I should be). Clint is the owner, Terry has been there a long time at the Stockton location. I think they have 9 stores. The main office is in Roseville under the name Sacramento Auto Glass. (Tel 916-773-3700) Debbie just ordered a Ferrari Testarosa windshield from us. if they can handle that I am sure they can do a 164 install!
They have known Lois or myself probably since the mid 1980's. Good luck.
Richard

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
164 windshield trim part numbers:
60561711 Top
60561712 R/H
60561715 L/H

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Richard, thank you so very much for your reply. Roseville is only a 1/2 hour from my sister-in-law. Steve, thank you for the part numbers for future reference. I left a message with Debbie so I am hopeful that we can get something arranged.

Now we have a couple places up this way that we can refer to when it comes to getting a 164 windsheild installed. From what "Frank of Berkeley" mentioned on the phone yesterday was that the tolerance for installing this glass is very small, another probable reason why most won't touch it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Plese keep me posted. I need to install a winshield on my LS. Im in SF and would have no problem going to roseville. Who is the other person that was recommended to you in the Bay Area?

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Plese keep me posted. I need to install a winshield on my LS. Im in SF and would have no problem going to roseville. Who is the other person that was recommended to you in the Bay Area?
I called Alfa Parts and Ruth referred me to Franks of Berkeley to install the glass. Has installed other 164 glass before and knows the ins and outs. :D
christopher

1 - 15 of 15 Posts