Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh! how did I get that thing out of there?

Having trouble starting so I am changing the two braided hoses. Done with that part. Yes, I used the expensive hose from NAPA, made by Gates. Yes, I am using proper fuel injection hose clamps.

Anyway, there has got to be some magic contortion that gets it back in there, but I sure can't find it.

Help a poor fool before his back goes out!

Jon

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
My advice would be to take a rest, you'll see it differently tomorrow. I had a similar experience, removing it was pretty easy, and the fact that one of the straps to the basket got unhooked allowed me to take it out in two parts. But putting it back in one piece was real agony, with the ledge inside the tank stopping the thing from sliding in. Having a good light is critical but even more important is being relaxed and of fresh mind, and on the second go you'll have more experience!

·
Premium Member
15,854 Posts
Another one of the frustrating designs from Alfa. As much as I like the cars, sometimes the designers have strained our relationship, with stupid designs on parts/assys like this.

·
Premium Member
26,996 Posts
Take two asprin and try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
2 beer before you start tomorrow and one every 5 minute. It will eventually work. Quarter turn counter clockwise, insert basket, quarter turn clockwise, hammer it home:)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2 beer before you start tomorrow and one every 5 minute. It will eventually work. Quarter turn counter clockwise, insert basket, quarter turn clockwise, hammer it home:)
Certainly the beer advice is to get me to smile for the first time today....at least the one every 5 minutes part. If today was any indication, I could fill the trunk with empty cans before I found success!

But, seriously, is the 2 quarter turn thing how it should be done?

I'll report back on my struggles as soon as I get a chance to try it again.
Here's hoping for better days ahead than how it went today!

Jon

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
You need to make sure all the tabs that hold the bottom basket on are all tightly against the basket and nothing sticking out even the slightest. From what I remember, and it's been a while since I've done one, but the 2 quarter turns are a good starting point. Wiggle and giggle from there. The hammer it home was in jest...don't try that :)

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
wiggle giggle? Really R2? I think between this, cam belts, stepper motors and starter removal, I'm glad to have a euro 4 banger. Best of luck, you'll get it. ciao chris

·
Premium Member
26,996 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, I am circling back to report. I managed to get it in finally!

The pictures that Alfisto Steve referenced show the pump rotated 180 degrees from the installed position with the tank out of the car. I could not do that since the tank was still installed and the bulkhead behind the seats prevented it.

I thought that there has to be another way so I tried different angles. I finally found success when I rotated the pump at close to 180 degrees as the wall would allow. At that point I had 0.00001" of clearance and I could get the pump to go down a bit. Then rotate some more to find the right orientation to go down a couple inches more....repeat, etc. I hope that description will help someone else down the road...

So, thanks to the 164 group for the help and saving my back!

Jon

P.S. the car starts up now!
P.P.S. what a terrible design. Good grief.

·
Premium Member
15,854 Posts
Told you!!

·
Premium Member
26,996 Posts
Alright, I am circling back to report. I managed to get it in finally!

I finally found success when I rotated the pump at close to 180 degrees as the wall would allow. At that point I had 0.00001" of clearance and I could get the pump to go down a bit. Then rotate some more to find the right orientation to go down a couple inches more....repeat, etc. I hope that description will help someone else down the road...

So, thanks to the 164 group for the help and saving my back!

Jon

P.S. the car starts up now!
P.P.S. what a terrible design. Good grief.
OBTW Ferrari used the same pump and basket set up on some of their older models such as 512 Boxer. It must have been an Italian thing back then!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts