Alfa Romeo Forums banner
361 - 380 of 414 Posts

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Did you do this with or without the Oring? With the Oring installed you would get a bit higher and a better squish on the liner when torqued down.
I can't imagine how hard it would be to install those oil squirters if you had to replace them. They are a long way down in there.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #362 ·
Did you do this with or without the Oring? With the Oring installed you would get a bit higher and a better squish on the liner when torqued down.
I can't imagine how hard it would be to install those oil squirters if you had to replace them. They are a long way down in there.
I did it without the oring first then tried it with an old o ring. Pretty much the same result. Want to wait to try it again when I have the right tool with a fresh o ring as well as order some spare o rings for final assembly. and yes I’d image they’re basically non replaceable unless you cut the stakes out and re staked it but that seems like a recipe for failure of the Alluminum housing to me.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,335 Posts
I agree about your posting all this information about the rebuild. No longer applicable to me, having sold my LS, but still...great information.

Nice shop you work in. My father had a good friend who had a shop like that, maintaining/repairing various light aircraft. His friend had maintained BN Islanders in the Caribbean for a few years, and demonstrated one to his bush pilot friends in Alaska in several trips, where he had been a pioneering bush pilot before and after WWII. He and my father also worked with "Scottie" (retired Boeing Chief Test pilot) who developed putting floats on DH Otters, Beavers, etc, for the Canadian and Alaskan bush business. Good days, those.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #364 ·
I agree about your posting all this information about the rebuild. No longer applicable to me, having sold my LS, but still...great information.

Nice shop you work in. My father had a good friend who had a shop like that, maintaining/repairing various light aircraft. His friend had maintained BN Islanders in the Caribbean for a few years, and demonstrated one to his bush pilot friends in Alaska in several trips, where he had been a pioneering bush pilot before and after WWII. He and my father also worked with "Scottie" (retired Boeing Chief Test pilot) who developed putting floats on DH Otters, Beavers, etc, for the Canadian and Alaskan bush business. Good days, those.
Interesting stuff for sure. Almost a lost art floatplanes both flying and maintaining them. Still and incredible feat that beavers and otters are still being flown commercially around the world.

·
17,335 Posts
Oh, you should go to Alaska, in particular Anchorage, where there is a lake, actually two joined together, Lake Hood and Lake Spenard, in town, which is the seaplane capital of the world. More there than anywhere else. Saw it last week during our travels in Alaska. Nothing but seaplanes taking off and landing, since sea planes and other light aircraft are basically how you get around in Alaska outside of just a few major airports. It is said that 1 of every 75 people in Alaska holds a pilot's license.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #366 ·
Oh, you should go to Alaska, in particular Anchorage, where there is a lake, actually two joined together, Lake Hood and Lake Spenard, in town, which is the seaplane capital of the world. More there than anywhere else. Saw it last week during our travels in Alaska. Nothing but seaplanes taking off and landing, since sea planes and other light aircraft are basically how you get around in Alaska outside of just a few major airports. It is said that 1 of every 75 people in Alaska holds a pilot's license.
Yes very true most of our pilots are from Alaska initially and came to fly with us here for various reasons. Me personally I couldn’t deal with the weather but I would love to visit Alaska one day and see what it’s like.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #367 ·
Also I got shorted out of an oil pan gasket as well as some o rings for my engine gasket kit that I paid 600$ for… not to mention the valve seals. I guess I didn’t ask before I ordered but I figured at twice the price of the victor reinz kit it would be complete. Not too happy about it but if anyone knows what p/n these o rings are that go from block to head I’d be a happy camper.

as well as where I can find a 24v oil pan gasket. I could just use rtv but I kinda would like a gasket. As far as the cigarette seals go people say to just fill the holes with rtv. Anyone have luck with that? I was thinking about issuing the cigarette seals with rtv on them so there’s no air bubbles.

·
17,335 Posts
The weather in Alaska is ok in the spring, summer and fall, for the most part, spring and fall being very short, lol. Depends on where you are of course, but I've seen 80F in Fairbanks. But then again, I've see 0F there in Oct as well.

Interesting note about the Anchorage main airport, in that it is the 4th busiest freight airport in the world. When we were there for several hours, we usually saw between 5 and 7 cargo 747s at all times, coming and going constantly. Weird to see so many at once.

Otherwise, I don't believe there are any Alfas in Alaska.

And if you visit, remember that Alaska has many different regions, all unique. Many see only the SE on cruises, but that's only one small area, and unfortunately pretty touristy in the bigger towns. Alaska is huge, much bigger than Texas.

As for a pan gasket, I suspect that rtv would be entirely usable. In fact, it looks like the parts eper calls for using a sealant, not a gasket. No gasket is shown but a tube of sealant is.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #369 ·
The weather is ok in the spring, summer and fall, for the most part, spring and fall being very short, lol. Depends on where you are of course, but I've seen 80F in Fairbanks. But then again, I've see 0F there in Oct as well.

Interesting note about the Anchorage main airpoirt, in that it is the 4th busiest freight airport in the world. When we were there for several hours, we usually saw between 5 and 7 cargo 747s at all times, coming and going constantly. Weird to see so many at once.

Otherwise, I don't believe there are any Alfas in Alaska.
There seems to be a lot of jobs out there in my field and I’m sure it’s a beautiful place to visit but not really where I’d want to live. Part of me would love to go there and be a bush pilot. But most of me just wants to mess around with my Alfa’s in nice weather. I’m not a huge fan on Connecticut really. But there’s alot of Italians around here which is good for two things, we have probably the best Italian food in the country, don’t let any New Yorkers tell you otherwise! And there’s loads of Alfa’s around here I don’t think I’ve ever had trouble finding an Alfa for sale near me. The gtv6 I had to travel to upstate NY for but other than that every Alfa and fiat I bought was pretty much local. I need to get more involved in the club but I always feel weird going without a running Alfa so I’ve never gone to a meeting despite being a member. Other than that CT Is heavily taxed and not that nice of a state. Although we have lime rock park which is a great race track I was there this weekend saw a few very nice Alfa’s.

·
17,335 Posts
Our Italians in the Seattle area came from Naples and south of there near Avalino, etc back a few decades ago. So, we've had some pretty good Italian food as well. When visiting my wife's bro and family in Vernon, east of Hartford, we've found that the Italian food and pizza just isn't what it used to be years ago, according to the people we know. And, no, the Frank Pepe pizza is just not that good these days, lol. The younger generation just doesn't want to continue the restaurants, same as what happens here for the most part. We are lucky in that we do have several old time restaurants yet with great food, the offspring taking over with minimal changes.

I do have to say, though, that we ate some mighty fine pizza that Alfa owner John "spitfire" had bought when we visited him and his wife in Milford, Ct. He had found a small shop that did it the way we liked, similar to the pizza we buy at our fav joint in south Seattle. We wish Vernon and area had the same, but no, alas, they do not. Hope John and his family are doing well, haven't heard much lately.

Alfas with no corrosion worth talking about, great weather, great scenery, and good Italian food is why we live here in Seattle. No stifling summer time humidity (been there, done that).

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #371 ·
Our Italians in the Seattle area came from Naples and south of there near Avalino, etc back a few decades ago. So, we've had some pretty good Italian food as well. When visiting my wife's bro and family in Vernon, east of Hartford, we've found that the Italian food and pizza just isn't what it used to be years ago, according to the people we know. And, no, the Frank Pepe pizza is just not that good these days, lol. The younger generation just doesn't want to continue the restaurants, same as what happens here for the most part. We are lucky in that we do have several old time restaurants yet with great food, the offspring taking over with minimal changes.

Alfas with no corrosion worth talking about, great weather, great scenery, and good Italian food is why we live here in Seattle. No stifling summer time humidity (been there, done that).
Frank pepes has definitely gone to crap and has been bad for years now. But there is plenty of phenomenal pizza in the new haven area still just not them. They franchised every since food network crowned them the best pizza in the country and naturally they cashed out on that and sold. Sally’s is my personal favorite but Seattle seems like a nice place to live. Not really sure where I’d like to go when I eventually move but I’ll probably go where the money is and currently that’s fedex in New Jersey they work on the same C208 and C208B I work on now only not on floats. And they pay really good with really good benefits.
vernon is a nice town! There’s a guy there I forget his name but he owns a fiat specialty shop I think it’s called Fun Imports and Toys. F.I.A.T. I used to get some parts from him when I had my spider, really nice guy. He also ended up with two Lancia zagatos I tried to buy but couldn’t figure out the logistics of shipping 2 non running cars and a shipping container full of parts from Providence RI to my home in Cheshire.

·
1991 164L
27,872 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #373 ·
Also that metal water pump gasket piece? Anyone know if that’s important? I was going to use the new paper gasket my new water pump came with but I still have the metal one.

·
17,335 Posts
Lol, that Fiat shop is just down the road about a mile from my wife's bro's home. Have stopped by once to chat.

We like Vernon because there is Rein's New York Deli. Can't get that food in Seattle, esp the deli sandwiches and the mac and cheese. Yumm. Next month I think.

I am suspecting that using a pan gasket of any thickness might screw up dimension build up somewhere, since it appears the engine was designed with no gasket there, ie, zero clearance.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #375 ·
Lol, that Fiat shop is just down the road about a mile from my wife's bro's home. Have stopped by once to chat.

We like Vernon because there is Rein's New York Deli. Can't get that food in Seattle, esp the deli sandwiches and the mac and cheese. Yumm. Next month I think.

I am suspecting that using a pan gasket of any thickness might screw up dimension build up somewhere, since it appears the engine was designed with no gasket there, ie, zero clearance.
Interesting. Makes sense well
I suppose I’ll have to get some black RTV and pray. I’m not the biggest fan of RTV. Biggest concern is the squeeze out falling into the pan. I found some on the oil pickup screen. But I’m sure it’ll be fine.

·
1991 164L
27,872 Posts
Alfa part number for 164 oil dowel pinso-rings are 60513359
Also that metal water pump gasket piece? Anyone know if that’s important? I was going to use the new paper gasket my new water pump came with but I still have the metal one.
I prefer the metal water pump gaskets both the big one that goes between block and pump and little 4-hole one that goes on top of the pump. Here is big one on ebay: Alfa Romeo 60615714 Water Pump Gasket for 1992-1997 164 | eBay

Here is small one:Alfa Romeo 164 Water Pump Gasket. OEM. METAL. 6061.571.3-1 | eBay

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #377 ·
Alfa part number for 164 oil dowel pinso-rings are 60513359

I prefer the metal water pump gaskets both the big one that goes between block and pump and little 4-hole one that goes on top of the pump. Here is big one on ebay: Alfa Romeo 60615714 Water Pump Gasket for 1992-1997 164 | eBay

Here is small one:Alfa Romeo 164 Water Pump Gasket. OEM. METAL. 6061.571.3-1 | eBay
I did order the larger gasket for the water pump the small one is easy to replace so I figure I’ll use the paper one unless it gives me a problem. My current dilemma is the bolts for the pressure plate. I’m missing all but two of them I ordered some more Allen bolts of the same size from mcmastercarr. They are 12.9 strength. I presume that’s strong enough for a pressure plate but does anyone else know otherwise?

·
1991 164L
27,872 Posts
Use the rectangler metal gasket, too. It is designed with the upturned or down turned metal edges to mate with engine front cover to prevent anything from falling into timing belt cavity. I have some of them. I thought you had one already.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #379 ·
Use the rectangler metal gasket, too. It is designed with the upturned or down turned metal edges to mate with engine front cover to prevent anything from falling into timing belt cavity. I have some of them. I thought you had one already.
Fair point I’ll order the one you linked on eBay.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #380 ·
A few things, I’m going to make a wanted post in the BB but figure I’ll ask here as well incase any of you following have it. I would really like to either buy or rent a set of 24V cam dies. Factory ones I have two sets of the eBay silver ones and they don’t fit too well. I have a Ferrari tensioner tool that doesn’t have the moment arm like the Alfa tool is supposed to but I don’t know if that moment arm is totally necessary as I successfully set the timing on the motor that’s in the car without it.
Second thing not really motor related but anyone instal the super pro Polly bushings on their control arms. I did on my black car and remember them being a pain to install even with a press. I loved the way the car handled with them but if there’s a set that is easier to install then I’ll give that a try.
Third thing, has anyone used this kit? https://www.amber-performance.co.uk/product.php?xProd=15749&xSec=301
I was going to replace all the radiator hoses and fuel lines when I take the motor since the fuel lines are dry rotted and the coolant hoses aren’t far behind. I found good fuel hose but that kit seems to be around the same price as buying all new oem rubber hoses so if it’s of good quality I think it’s a no brainer.
Fourth thing. I put the first part on the motor today! Still can’t assemble as I’m waiting for the crank to be balanced but I put on the timing bracket with some mastinox and I put the brand new knock sensors on. All of it took about 2 minutes but hey it’s great to see something going back together.
Wood Helmet Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

361 - 380 of 414 Posts