Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I finally got around to bringing my engine out of the garage and to my job where I’ll have ample room to start the rebuilding process. Waiting on parts still but tommorow I should be able to start the tear down. I’ve read all the forum posts, the shop manual, and all the information I can gather on rebuilding this motor but any advice is always appreciated. I’ll keep this thread updated with pictures of my progress and hopefully it will be helpful to someone else in the future.

·
1991 164L
27,794 Posts
We love show and tell pix with narrative. Good luck with this project.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took the valve covers off as well as the ac bracket does the oil staining on the heads look normal to you guys for an engine with 130k miles? Last busso I had apart was recently rebuilt so it was very clean this motor looks like this. Other than the discoloration the cams look good the motor spins by hand and the timing seems to be correct.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,093 Posts
Modern motor oils have well developed detergents in them to keep the insides of the engines clean as compared to those of the past. I remember decades ago that when you pulled an engine apart, there were black deposits in all the nooks and crannies of the engine. It's pretty amazing nowadays just how clean engines are.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got it almost completely torn down. A few brocken bolts on the oil pan. But I’ve cracked all the water pump bolts free without a single one giving me crap. Cylinder bores look good I can still see the cross hatching marks from a hone. Lots of lead deposits on the piston and valves though. Think I may buy a set of pistons and rings and keep the sleeves as they look good. Of course I’ll have to measure everything before I order anything. The cam caps have some scoring most of them aren’t enough to feel with my fingernail. How is that resolved it doesn’t look like there is bearings in them? I’m still cleaning up right now but I’ll post a big photo dump when I’m home. And that’s what I figured that the oil staining was normal I could totally see that conventional oil without detergents could do that.

·
17,093 Posts
Hmm, shouldn't be any lead deposits on anything, as the gasoline is lead free. I suspect maybe might be deposits from using fuel with low levels of FI cleaner, or none at all. Should be using grade 1 fuel, or FI cleaner additive once in a while to reduce those deposits.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the car this motor came out of was mine when I was about 18 and when I didn’t have money id put some sump avgas in the tank about 5 gallons at a time. (Sump fuel is what we pumped out for testing and would put in waste oil afterwards) so I’d get about 5 gallons a day for free from where I worked and used it to fill the car. Probably not the best thing for it. But glad I took it apart to clean all the crap out.

·
1991 164L
27,794 Posts
That's a start and looks like you have some room to work.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I’m glad I was able to do it here. The last motor I rebuilt I did in my parents garage with almost no room just a small work bench never want to do that again organization is key to things like this.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What’s the best way to get out a stuck liner out of the block? I have one stuck and gently tapping it with a mallet doesn’t do anything. I have it soaking in penetrating oil currently.

·
Premium Member
1994 Alfa Romeo 164LS/Q and 1974 Laverda 1000 3C
62 Posts
Maybe try a little heat. A Bernzomatic propane torch comes in handy on stubborn gudgeon pins too.

I would carefully warm the base of the steel cylinder, not too aggressive. Slowly get it hot and the aluminum should heat soak from the steel and will expand more than the steel . That should let you wiggle it out of there.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was able to get it with a heat gun and some cannon plug pliers. (Soft jaw pliers) also was able to get the crankshaft out on my lunch break. So far everything looks surprisingly good!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great thread. Please keep us posted with how it progresses. Love the hangar as a location too. Perfect!
Thank you! I’ll definitely keep you all updated. Working in aviation has its ups and downs but it’s hard to beat having this much space for projects sometimes.

·
17,093 Posts
At ~130k miles, this engine should be just about as new yet inside, not needing a rebuild for ~200k miles or more. These Alfa V6 engines are very durable, and unless severely abused by a PO, ie, no oil, overheating, wrong valve clearances, etc, should just keep running without undue wear. Keep in mind that the crank is nitrided, and shouldn't ever need grinding, ordinarily.

Remind me again as to why you thought the engine whould be rebuilt. Was the oil pressure low, or a skipped belt?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It sat for 3 years, it leaked oil, and piece of mind. If you’re going to do something do it right. That 164 is by far the nicest car I’ve owned in my whole life I don’t want to just slap a motor that’s been sitting for three years on a stand into the car and hope it works. Also under closer inspection it may need new liners there’s some pretty deep scoring in cylinder 1 enough where I can feel it with my finger nail.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe honing will take that out? Could it be glazed pretty good and just a scratch in the glazing? Most of the liners look like that and some have what looks to be pitting. These aren’t the best photos but here’s all the defects I found in the liners I’m not opposed to replacing the liners I just don’t want to replace them if they’re still ok and just need a hone.

·
17,093 Posts
How do the rod and main bearings check out? And the thrust washers?

I'm curious, as the V6 in my 91S now has ~195k miles on it, and the engine has never been touched, except for the normal maintenance and valve clearance checks, and the oil pressure is still ~55 psi at 3000rpm hot cruise, and ~30 psi hot idle. Haven't checked compression, but it runs very well, with no smoke, etc.

Just trying to get a feel for expected wear. Of course no guarantee, as I have no idea how your engine was treated in the past, or what oil was used, etc.

1 - 20 of 213 Posts