Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My 164Q is smoking (107K miles). This happened all of a sudden. The car sat for a week. I drove it upon return, it seemed fine. Drove it again the next day - disaster.

The car is missing a little. It is dying when I come to a stop sign on occassion, not all the time. It is smoking, quit heavily. Blue smoke - which I know is oil, but it seems to be fairly sooty as well.

I replaced the plugs and checked the oil seperator, plugs were terrible, but replacing them didn't solve anything.

My mechanic has checked the oil vapor system, no issues. No vacuum problems. He just finished a leak down test and cylinders 1 and 2 had a 30 and a 40. I guess this is the percentage of leakage in a given time? Anyway, we know it is not good and it points to rings.

We are still going to test the injectors to see if maybe they are stuck open or something, washing down the cylinders may cause the oil rings to un-seat?

Any other ideas out there? I hate to tear into the engine, rebuild the whole thing and find that we didn't really have the problem figured out.

She may be for sale if anyone wants to make offers...

I have put a lot of time and money into her over the past 9 months, so maybe she is just on the verge of being great. No engine problesm at all before this, other than typical oil usage, 1 qt per 500 miles.

The car seems to run perfectly fine (the miss has cleared up with a new set of NGK's, at least for the moment). Still has very good power.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Premium Member
9,804 Posts
Hi All,

My 164Q is smoking (107K miles). This happened all of a sudden. The car sat for a week. I drove it upon return, it seemed fine. Drove it again the next day - disaster.

The car is missing a little. It is dying when I come to a stop sign on occassion, not all the time. It is smoking, quit heavily. Blue smoke - which I know is oil, but it seems to be fairly sooty as well.

I replaced the plugs and checked the oil seperator, plugs were terrible, but replacing them didn't solve anything.

My mechanic has checked the oil vapor system, no issues. No vacuum problems. He just finished a leak down test and cylinders 1 and 2 had a 30 and a 40. I guess this is the percentage of leakage in a given time? Anyway, we know it is not good and it points to rings.

We are still going to test the injectors to see if maybe they are stuck open or something, washing down the cylinders may cause the oil rings to un-seat?

Any other ideas out there? I hate to tear into the engine, rebuild the whole thing and find that we didn't really have the problem figured out.

She may be for sale if anyone wants to make offers...

I have put a lot of time and money into her over the past 9 months, so maybe she is just on the verge of being great. No engine problesm at all before this, other than typical oil usage, 1 qt per 500 miles.

The car seems to run perfectly fine (the miss has cleared up with a new set of NGK's, at least for the moment). Still has very good power.

Thanks,
Mark
Get some real compression numbers that we can work with.

May be an ECU problem.

Maybe others have some ideas? You said it is using a lot of oil?

So possibly rings, valve seals...timing, Slightly Bent valves?

J

1 - 2 of 2 Posts