Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The oil pressure gauge in my 95 164LS 5-speed has been behaving erratically for a long time, and it finally quit reading completely (yes, the engine has proper oil pressure verified by an external gauge:D). My question is whether the culprit is usually the sender or the gauge itself. I wonder since all of the minor gauges in the car like the voltmeter, gas gauge etc. tend to work erratically also.

TIA

Arno

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
its the sender

most likely. Put a 1K ohm resitor in place of the sender and see if the gayge responds. The senders are crapola and fail frequently

·
Registered
273 Posts
Oil pressure sender

I still have the better quality aftermarket senders for the oil pressure gauge if anyone is interested.

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
I can attest

I have an Alfahill Oil Pressure sender in my auto LS. Granted, its only a few months old, but it works great. The only thing to remember is that its a tapered thread on the sender, so put it in with teflon tape, and tighten it up hand tight, then about 1 more turn with the wrench.

·
Registered
273 Posts
oil seders

I have used them with or without Teflon tape and they don't leak either way.
For those that asked about the price, I will sell them for $37 each plus $5 shipping in the USA. If you order multiples, it's free shipping. I have these in 8 of my Alfas and have not had a single failure. The one in my 164S has worked perfectly since 1997. I can take paypal. Please send a private message if interested.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The trepanation trick did it for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts