Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have recently started to 'bring back' my '94 164.

I went out to start it and found that because of the very damp weather it refused to start. (It starts right in dry weather)

With an older ignition system I would first check plug wires, distributor cap, etc. But on this car...

I thought I would ask first before examining the Motronic system.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would check with all groundings, contacts (including relays and fuses) connectors, and use of contact enhancer. Wont hurt, and will dramatically reduce electrical related failures. You'd be surprised how fast a car deteriorate if left sitting unused.

jess

·
Registered
373 Posts
Jess is right; but I would not even look at the motronic the wrong way as it is has nothing to do with it.

The leads to your coils are corroded and are either grounding or arching. Remove the front cam cover and check the condition of the coil packs. Whatever you find in the front, you will also find in the rear bank.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jess, Taso

Thank you for the info.

I did remove the front cam cover. The coil packs are VERY rusty.

It turned out that my battery was soft. With a full charge the car started right away.

I will likely still need to look after the corroded coil packs, etc. for the next time it rains !

Thanks,

Bill

·
Supporting Vendor
4,370 Posts
Other things to check if damp weather gives you problems:

Ignition switch
Fuse Box itself

Both of these problems gave my dad some intermittent starting issues at one time or another, related to damp weather. Now both have been replaced and car has been trouble free.

Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts