Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a serious helping hand..

Hi, I have a 1995 Alfa Romeo 164LS, with 108.000Km, it is been parked for a year with some kind of
Starting issue, I need help to get it back on the street this summer.

I sent my car to a body shop for a new paint, I left the guys with two keys one for the door and another
for the ignition but I felt to tell them that the door key doesn’t start the car.
When the paint job was done I got a call from the shop telling me that the ignition stack and they tried
everything to get it to work.

I had no choice other than tow the car home, buy a used ignition and install it. It may caused the all problem...

After the installation the car started fine, it runs for about a minute and the dashboard lights went off but the
engine still running, I decided to park the car and turn it off but since them it is being unresponsive, the battery
gauge only shows 8 volts no matter how long I charge it I even replaced he battery twice.

I leave in a place without any Alfa Romeo dealership, and I hope that I can find help to fix this issue.
I don’t have a mechanic background but I can follow a non-technical instructions

Alfa Boy

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
The computer system needs about 10.5v to activate. It will never start with only 8v. I don't understand how you only get 8v. Did you put in a "new" battery, or just replaced it with a used one?

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Disconnect the battery and charge it. Measure the voltage. Then reconnect the battery and measure the voltage again. Perhaps you have a dead short somewhere.

You also may try pulling all the fuses except for the engine controls and see if that makes any difference.

Also, where do you live? That may help if we know what country specification car you have.

·
1991 164L
27,915 Posts
I am guessing he has a Euro spec 164 with possible immobilizer set up. Need more infor on what kind of system he has. Does ignition key have a chip in it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Sorry for the late update, I try to post more info last Friday while I was interrupted by some last minute work load.

My Car is 1995, Alfa Romeo 164LS, Auto Trams, 3.0L 24 valves engine, I don't believe that there's any kind of chips
in the keys but I know that it brings a built in flash light on the original keys that start the car. It also comes with a Alarm
system remote keys attached to the original keys.
Whatever happen after the ignition replacement cut off the current supplied to the doors lights and windshield wipes.
Before this happen the lights in the car would go on as soon as I open the car driver door now only the dashboard lights
and central console works.
It seams to me that something cuts the supply of current to the start system, it can be the immobilizer, but my question
now is, what can I do to get the car back running? Can I bypass the immobilizes or reset the ignition fault after returning
the original ignition?

Thanks you so much

E.A

·
1991 164L
27,915 Posts
Where are you located? Is this a USA/NA spec 164?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am located in Alberta, Canada, 1-1/2 hour away from Calgary..

I find this place in the Netherlands that claims that they can re-code keys or deactivate the immobilizer system for good.
I just want to get ride off this thing I don't care if the system never operate again, if someone know how to bypass this
immobilizer nightmare, I will appreciate to hear from you.

AB

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Re immobilizer, no start

I am located in Alberta, Canada, 1-1/2 hour away from Calgary..

I find this place in the Netherlands that claims that they can re-code keys or deactivate the immobilizer system for good.
I just want to get ride off this thing I don't care if the system never operate again, if someone know how to bypass this
immobilizer nightmare, I will appreciate to hear from you.

AB
Not sure I am following the problem as it is getting confused.
So, if you try to crank, you get NO crank but some of the lights do come on?
Yes, maybe a switch problem but as for the no crank, I had the same issue and it took me weeks to find it. First I thought it was the immobilizer (I have the same model as you-95ls auto) and some of the wires were no good. I cleaned them up and it was a hit-miss starting. After many hours of cleaning ALL relays at the right kick board, under the steering column, etc I had to assume that the now- not starting problem was the starter. I got under the car and found that the exciter wire was fitting loosely (I managed to get my hand in there and feel with my fingers). I pulled off, cleaned and tightened the connector and put it back in and now the car starts fine.
So, charge your battery up to 100%. if you get a crank, not the starter solenoid. Check the wiring loom at the immobilizer for cracked wires, turn the system OFF with the key, also check the fuses to the left of the battery.
If you get NO crank, probably not the immobilizer but try to check the starter solenoid exciter wire that runs from the firewall to the starter solenoid.
Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts