Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that the seats in the 164L is not very supportive. Granted this car is 16 years old (1991). I feel like I am sinking in the driver seat and the back support is pretty bad relatively to my brother's Honda Accord and Mazda 3. Don't know about the 164S seats or Recaros but I get a sore lower back after driving for a long trip in the 164. Don't get me wrong, I love driving in this car. Has anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yep, my 164L seats are not too comfortable. The seats are fine really, but they do not offer any lateral support. I feel as if I am sitting on them instead of in them. (I don't know if that makes sense.) I plan to buy S seats to replace them.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
I don't think you'll find S seats much better. I had an S fir 145000 and got a sore back on long trips. Maybe the Recaros are better, I don't know.

Now my 1973 Berlina seats...thats a different matter Those seats are comfortable.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I find my (new to) me S seats much for comfortable than my old L seats. The leather is softer though, which may be part of it, but they seem to be "cushier." It's funny, my wife HATES her '05 Accord seats and loves my 164's seats (even the L seats). Have you found the lumbar support knob on the side of the seat? Maybe you forgot about it? The 164 seats are excellent, I can't imagine anyone thinking they are "gosh awful", but we are all made differently. ;)
Charles

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
IMHO if you want to set in 164 seats and not on them you need the velour ones that came standard on Base models and Yes special option in L models.

Our three daily drivers are now all fitted with fabric factory seats.

Here is my white 164 car article with my take on seats: http://www.velocetoday.com/cars/cars_74.php

I just installed that option in my 93L but I have seen L models with factory fabric seats. I believe I have a set Jason took out of his white 164 he got in Florida where most of them were sold that had fabric seat "upgrade" http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showpost.php?p=375531&postcount=1

Here is Quik silver back in summer seating: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showpost.php?p=226019&postcount=1

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Steve is right the cloth 164 seats are very comfy. I like the 164 LS seats also the Recaro seats are ok but on long drives are not that great. I just drove to Seattle in an LS with stock seats and then back in a Q with the Recaro seats and the trip up was way more comfy. I know a guy who has some 164 B cloth seats for sale here in Sacramento if you would like his number.

·
Premium Member
15,555 Posts
Never tried the cloth in the 164, although in the past I've always enjoyed the cloth seats in earlier models better than the vinyl. When I bought the 94LS, I really didn't care for the seats, so I bought an S seat for the driver and exchanged it in the LS. Much better, and good for trips of many miles.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I just drove both my cars back to back today and I cannot tell much difference between the L and S. They are both supportive to me, the S seats are in better shape but overall they feel similar.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I have noticed that the seats in the 164L is not very supportive. Granted this car is 16 years old (1991). I feel like I am sinking in the driver seat and the back support is pretty bad relatively to my brother's Honda Accord and Mazda 3. Don't know about the 164S seats or Recaros but I get a sore lower back after driving for a long trip in the 164. Don't get me wrong, I love driving in this car. Has anyone else experience this?
Hi Ted, I suspect there might be some worn-out foam or webbing in yours, because I've always found 164 seats to be excellent (they don't generally wear out). All the Type 4 cars (Croma/Thema/164/9000) seem to use the same German-made seats. I have a 2003 FIAT Stilo and the seats are not nearly as good as in the old 164 - tend to slide around on top of the Stilo's leather seat, where the 164's aged leather still seems to give surrounding support.

So I think it would be worth trying out another 164 for seats, and as Steve says, the velour (that my last 164 had) is also very comfortable, though in my opinion not as hard-wearing as the leather (tends to become a little black-thread bare on the side of the driver's seat base).

-Alex

1 - 9 of 9 Posts