·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble starting my 91 Alfa 164L

I'm completely lost---
Any ideas?
The engine turns and turns, but doesn't "catch"

If I pump on the gas pedal and turning the key - the engine finally "catches" and I have to keep the pedal down to it from stalling-- otherwise it drops below 750 rpm and the engine stalls. Once the car starts to warm everything is fine.

Here is whats new-
New NKG plugs, New spark plug wires, new ignition coil, new battery (fully charged), new temperature sensor, new wiring and bosch connector from temp. sensor to ECU.

What else could it be?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I would veryify the fuel pressure and check the air intake boot between the AFM and the throttle valve as well. If this checks out check the connector on the motronic temp sensor as well as the sensor itself. I had a new one that was defective, which caused several headaches! Any codes being thrown by the computer? Also check the coil and make sure its giving a nice hot spark, at them moment that is all I can think of, and that should keep you busy for a few hours, best of luck,

Jon

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I've got these symptoms, too (wife's car)

Any updates? Or maybe MPmoney's sold his 164? He seems not to have posted lately. My wife's car is just recently doing this same thing. Crank, crank, crank, stumble, start (maybe), with rough idle. I'll be taking drubie's advice from another thread to look at the oil separator return hose, plus I'll be looking over the plugs and distributor components.

It's primarily cold starts that have the problem, so I don't suspect the coolant sensor right off the bat. I know that the in-tank pump has a piece of fuel hose which can crack and cause the fuel pressure to sag, so I'll be looking for how to measure fuel pressure in situ. Any other suggestions? My inductive timing light is busted, so I can't just look at the spark.....but it's not so much running rough as not wanting to hit on any cylinders. The ECU isn't pulling a routine check engine light for fuel/air mismatch like I'd expect for a fuel supply problem, either.

Michael

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had a similar problem and I'm pretty sure it was due to not tightening the gas cap 'til it clicks when filling up. I know for some reason I started to not tighten the gas cap fully, thinking I did not want to break it or wear it out. I didn't make the connection until a couple of months ago I tightened it 'til it clicked and have not had a problem since. It's either that or the gremlin I had got up and left. I think I saw a post somewhere on the BB also, with the cap not tightened all the way it allows the fuel pressure to drop so when you go to start there is not enough pressure to get it going.

Terry

·
Premium Member
15,517 Posts
Hmmm, I wouldn't think that could be the problem, as the fuel pressure is downstream from the fuel pump to the pressure regulator, not in the tank itself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts